Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 234 total)
  • Any English people on here who moved to North Wales or Scotland?
  • Trekster

No good jobs for young ones

Assuming kids end up going to uni they are unlikely to be coming home assuming they do a “professional” degree.
    Both mine have good jobs earning more than me 😀
    Daughter went to college because she had no idea what she wanted to do(she did but school fricked up, product design)then to uni and on into teaching. Son started as an apprentice and is now an engineer with a degree in construction gained as an adult student.

CD is a we bit away from train stations as you probably know? Nearest is Dumfries but the fastest trains to Glasgow run from Lockerbie which MrsT uses regularly. Dumfries is for Carlisle only which can be good for going onwards South.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If it’s real anti English bile you’re after try Ireland

Trekster

dragon – Member 
    The crap weather is a real thing in Scotland though and that would sway me towards North Wales. Wales may be wetter but on a nice summers day it can be amazingly warm, Scotland always seems cold by comparison.

All the English people I know, some for 50yrs manage fine 💡

https://vimeo.com/125462581
    My riding buddy @4.13

Add Newcastle to the list of airports, good for Malaga…

tjagain

I lived in glasgow for many yeaqrs – yes it rains sometimes and above the UK average – but less rainy days than Manchester for example. colder in Scotland – yes. Wetter – depends where you compare it with

Nipper99
    Free Member

Nothing worse than the Welsh changing from English to Welsh as you enter their shops. Yes, my hearing is that bloody good.

Learn some Welsh unless that offends your little Englander sensibilities.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Learn some Welsh unless that offends your little Englander sensibilities.

😆
    Nos da cariad. 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

cysga’n dawel

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Apology accepted.

duncancallum

What sort of comute are you after and where too?

I’d bugger off over the border if my missus agreeded to it. I’m half Scottish n have a lot of family up there.

I’d move several places. Mull of Galloway, Newton Stewart, kirkudbright port William, port Patrick. Black isle and Inverness and anywhere north west. But not fort bill. Though near would be ok.

OH Perthshire is nice Perth is my favourite city

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

For those who prefer facts to fiction: Glasgow is recorded as the UK’s second wettest city. Manchester eighth. Apart from that carry on…normal service can now be resumed….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s great, some facts. But it rains ‘all the time’ is utter bullshit.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Glasgow, 155 days with precipitation last year.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Glasgow/statistics.html

kcr
    Free Member

For those who prefer facts to fiction

Yes, look at the rainfall map above, the west of Scotland is significantly wetter than the east. The east coast rain shadow was always a staple of O-grade geography!

If you are thinking about moving to Scotland, the big things to consider are what you need in terms of culture, services and employment. 70% of the population lives in the Central Lowlands, and unsurprisingly, that’s where the best services and employment opportunities are concentrated. If you are flexible about where you can work, there is some beautiful country in the south and north, but the pay off is that you just won’t have access to a lot of stuff that is available if you are nearer to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

It depends what you want. Some people are happy to live way out in the country and drive everywhere. Living just outside Edinburgh for almost 20 years, I have been able to work for a variety of different employers in a number of different locations (mostly contracting) and have still been able to commute by bicycle all that time. My home area was Dumfries and Galloway, which was a great place to grow up, but the employment opportunities I currently have just don’t exist there.

Another bonus to consider if you move up – you might get the opportunity to vote for independence in the next referendum, and the possibility of fast track re-entry to Europe!

wicki
    Free Member

move to France the Jocks and the welsh dont want you. 😈

NZCol

A non statistical answer but I live in edinburgh and have been working in Glasgow, more often than not it’s dry at home and wet when I get to Glasgow.

Spin
    Free Member

A non statistical answer but I live in edinburgh and have been working in Glasgow, more often than not it’s dry at home and wet when I get to Glasgow.

Glasgow: 1124mm p/a 170.3 days with rain.
    Edinburgh: 704mm p/a 124.2 days with rain.

kilo

thestabiliser – Member
    If it’s real anti English bile you’re after try Ireland

Utter rubbish, my wife is completely English and her and her family have never experienced this there. Neither have the many acquaintances I know who have been or moved there.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Property is reasonable ’cause Dundee is a shithole!

Depressingly, being Aberdonian this has for decades been my default answer. This is NO longer true and a dated opinion. Dundee is punching above its weight hugely now and compared to the Aberdeen of 2017…well lets just say ‘how the mighty have fallen’ I still love Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire as its home but its lost its lustre recently with the oil bust. Moving away to NW England 5 years ago (now settled with young family in Lancashire) has taught me amongst other things that frankly, ribbing of the Scot’s is still alive and well. There’s a general assumption that I’m a nationalist spokesperson and will endlessly be itching to talk about the farking Indy referendum… which do not. GTF. So it works both ways. Almost all of this is good natured of course, but its not peculiar to Scotland. Oh and everyone I’ve met in Lancashire? lovely. Ok maybe not everyone in Preston but that’s a long story.

geoffj

This is NO longer true and a dated opinion. Dundee is punching above its weight hugely now

+1

With the V&A and waterfront development it’s going to stunning. Some decent tech jobs too.

duncancallum

NW England 5 years ago (now settled with young family in Lancashire

So why have you never turned up on a MNPR then?….

squirrelking
    Free Member

Right, a different perspective.

Anti English banter is no worse than any anti Scots banter I have encountered down south. That’s to say, tedious pish from the mouths of tedious **** trying to be funny rather than with any real malice. That said I tend not to hang around the real shiteholes so YMMV.

Ayrshire isn’t that bad depending on where you go, the East is mainly shite aside from the village’s north of Kilmarnock, the rest is mainly forgotten ex mining villages. If you want an idea read the early chapters of The Flying Scotsman. North, again, isn’t all that. I stay on Largs which, although nice is mostly populated by knobends. South is much better in terms of places to live and the people (I may be biased coming from Troon).

Not much experience of D&G in terms of Solway firth but I will say this; I don’t see the big attraction. My friend’s folks have retired in Elrig and its lovely but closest town is Newton Stewart then Stranraer for the train. That said its in a nice quiet part of the world and I could happily live there.

In contrast Castle Douglas has nothing. As in, its big enough to be a town but nothing to offer that it should for a town that size. I can imagine it would be easy to get frustrated with it. I should add that this is just based on a brief stay but have seen plenty of better places. Oh, and depending where you are you could be talking an 80odd mile round trip to Dumfries, don’t even entertain notions of public transport.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I grew up in the central Borders and it was excellent. Melrose/Galashiels/Peebles and surrounding villages are very nice and often overlooked.

But it seem like a long way from Castle Douglas mainly due all those bleak hills around Newcastleton.

nickhit3
    Free Member

So why have you never turned up on a MNPR then?….

sorry man… er, no idea what MNPR is. Anyone care to explain?

pictonroad

weather? Edinburgh is the second driest place in the UK after Kent.

2nd driest place in the U.K?

Is this the fake news I’ve been hearing so much about?

tjagain

edinburgh – average rainfall 700mm / year 120 days with rain and 1400 hrs sunshine
    London – 550 mm rain, 105 rainy days, 1400 hrs sunshine
    Manchester 870 mm rain. 150 rainy days, 1350 hrs sunshine
    Cardiff 1150mm rain 150 rainy days, 1550 hrs sunshine

east lothian is significantly drier again

gobuchul
    Free Member

edinburgh – average rainfall 700mm / year 120 days with rain and 1400 hrs sunshine
    London – 550 mm rain, 105 rainy days, 1400 hrs sunshine
    Manchester 870 mm rain. 150 rainy days, 1350 hrs sunshine
    Cardiff 1150mm rain 150 rainy days, 1550 hrs sunshine

And an east coast city is drier than west coast cities shocker…..

The UK has prevailing westerly winds which brings rain clouds in from the Atlantic. Ireland gets a lot of rain, then the remainder gets dumped on Manchester, Wales etc.

The west coast of Scotland does not have Ireland to get the worst of the rain, so gets pissed on.

As I said earlier it rains ALL the time. 🙂 Or at least feels like it and if you get a day outdoors when it doesn’t rain, then it feels like a bonus.

simmy
    Free Member

MNPR = Monday night pub ride

The historical home is Prestwich but the rides move about. One day I may make one when work allows.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mnpr-–-monday-20th

tjagain

My impression is totally different – I ride a bike most days and the number of times I get rained on a year is in single figures

I spend numerous nights camping usually on the west coast – been rained out once in 10 years

Spin
    Free Member

I spend numerous nights camping usually on the west coast – been rained out once in 10 years

Probably a pretty significant sampling bias there. Unless of course you choose your camping nights randomly rather than after viewing the forecast.

gobuchul
    Free Member

My impression is totally different – I ride a bike most days and the number of times I get rained on a year is in single figures

Are you the opposite of Rob McKenna the Rain God??????

Single figures? Really?

Tulloch Bridge (Fort William)
    Rainfall (mm) 1809.4
    Days of rainfall >= 1 mm (days) 201.5

tjagain

Oh indeed spin – but its just an example of how / why I really don’t get this “rains all the time” nonsense

Parts of scotland are wetter than part of england, parts of england are wetter than parts of Scotland

I have lived for long periods in Glasgow, Manchester and Edinburgh. Edinburgh is by far the driest.

tjagain

gobuchal – remember I live in Edinburgh This winter so far I have been rained on 3 times when commuting for example

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve just looked out the window and it’s raining now. #realnews

That must prove something? 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

Oh indeed spin

Met Office now on the #falsenews bandwagon.

I have lived for long periods in Glasgow, Manchester and Edinburgh. Edinburgh is by far the driest.

Obviously. It’s in a **** rain shadow.

That’s why Glasgow is wet and it rains ALL the time.

mt
    Free Member

A Mate former coal miner from the black country with the accent to go with it has a favorite re-post(s) to those Scottish folk who like to tell him he should not be living and working near Castle Douglas. “I choose to live here because I love it”.

epicsteve
    Free Member

A Mate former coal miner from the black country with the accent to go with it has a favorite re-post(s) to those Scottish folk who like to tell him he should not be living and working near Castle Douglas. “I choose to live here because I love it”.

I suspect that’s either a conversation that’s happened once, or maybe even only ever in his head.

gordimhor

I live in Kinlochleven it rains a lot however it’s the drivers that keep me off the A82 not the weather.

Spin
    Free Member

I live in Kinlochleven it rains a lot

I believe that when someone tells you to ‘stick it where the sun don’t shine’ it is in fact Kinlochleven they are referring to.

squirrelking
    Free Member

No that’s Glenrothes. Closest sunshine is apparently Leith. I could believe that.

redmex
    Free Member

Im in Dundee today and its like Mallorca 15° and sunny take back all i said about the place

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Any English people on here who moved to North Wales or Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.