Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any Engineers Present?
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

I recently started a HND in mechanical engineering and i’m looking to do a bit of networking in order to begin building a portfolio.

Looking for advice and guidance really. Thought single track was as good a place to start as any.

If there are any Engineers on the forum I would love to hear from some of you. I’m 32 at present and finding the volume of information a little bit intimidating. I desperately want to succeed so any advice would really appreciated.

Cheers.

Marc.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Nope. Definitely no engineers on here. Lots of wannabees though. 😉

Seriously – I cant help with the mechanical bit. Someone will be along in a min that will though so consider this a bump.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

try linked in and your local Imeche lot they were always advertising events/talks/social stuff around the area.

(not an engineer)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Maybe. But don’t tell anyone, they might start taking notice of my engineering advice 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

yep, I am. Got letters after my name and everything.

Where in the world are you? what’s your local engineering industry based on?

6079smithw
    Free Member

I’ve got the letters too.
    In my day though the internet was only young.

Now you’ve got no excuse for not knowing anything! 😀

cyclebiker

Morning, I am also a mechanical engineer and completed my HND around 6 years ago. As bandito said…Where are you in the world?
    Cheers,
    Mark

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Try the IET? Its who I’m with..

allthepies
    Free Member

Was expecting a Prometheus conspiracy theory.

As disappointed.

lodious
    Free Member

Where abouts are you based? When you say ‘portfolio’, do you mean of contacts or are you looking for broaden you skills?

forexpipz
    Free Member

Im Based in Wakefield. West Yorkshire.

I have decided from the offset to build up a portfolio of contacts and skills. Mainly as a breathing exercise away from all this hermit Mathematics I’m compelled to do on a constant basis.

I have just completed analytic methods for engineers. Should have renamed it maths for mathematicians! I’m currently doing Engineering Science (Statics).

My email address is marcakirk@gmail.com

Cheers for the replies.

jackthedog
    Free Member

You’ve gonna get spammed to death now.

footflaps

It’s a gmail account, they’re quite good at filtering that stuff out….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Wakefield?! you poor beggar.. (I grew up there)

Not really an engineering “core” there, I was thinking aong the lines like offshore power in the North East/Aberdeen, motorsport in M4 corridor etc.

Best bet is to get signed up to IMechE or IET as an associate member and get along to some of their events. You’ll learn more stuff and get to meet local and relevant contacts.

Here you go:

http://nearyou.imeche.org/near-you/UK/Yorkshire
    http://www.theiet.org/events/search/searchresults.cfm

Get your Linkedin profile updated, find a few local contacts and you’ll start to get more.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, sort of – well it says Engineer in my job description..

There are loads of Engineering jobs in my sector (Military ship building/maintenance) just take a look at any of the big players websites – BAE Systems/Thales/Raytheon/Rolls Royce/GE/Babcock/MOD/QinetiQ/etc.

It is a good industry to work in – and if you can get involved with Submarines, or prime battle ships (I work with T45 Destroyers) you should have pretty reasonable job security…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any Engineers Present?’ is closed to new replies.