• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any employment law experts here??
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

The question is, should casual workers be paid holiday pay? I’m pretty sure the answer is yes, but can anyone give me a reference to the legalities of it?

br
    Free Member

ALL workers accrue holiday pay, at the same rate.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

As a casual worker for British Cycling, I get an itemised payslip, showing pay plus holiday pay, so I my question is, shouldn’t any other employer be doing the same? Is it actually illegal not to?

drovercycles
    Free Member

It’s unlawful not to, yes.

You actually aren’t allowed to just pay people a bit more each time, either – which seems to be what you’re saying BC do. Employers are required to actually give people paid time off. Subtle difference, but it’s not the same thing.

Obviously you can’t force people to take their holiday but they must be able to do so. And if they come to the end of their contract and haven’t taken it all, they must be paid in lieu.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

The BC work is just casual, so they are actually correct in paying an extra amount as holiday pay.
    Unfortunately, my other casual job hasn’t been paying holiday pay, so what I think I’m after is a statement of the law that requires an employer to pay it – or is there some “get-out clause” available for some employers?

Esme
    Free Member

There’s some good stuff on the Gov.uk site, including a calculator.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any employment law experts here??’ is closed to new replies.