• This topic has 57 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Any Emergency Services folks here? ICE and other emergency ID tags
  • benp1

Lots of ICE and other tags, stickers, bracelets on the market

There are lots of ICE ID options. A helmet sticker seems like a sensible as it’ll always be with me

I’ve seen one with a piece of waterproof paper folded up in a yellow reflective sticker, looks pretty good so far. Not sure I’d remember to wear the bracelet every time

For those in the ‘trade’, are there any that you notice to be particularly effective?

I have a tag on the zip of a jacket with a ICE QR code, always thought that was flawed as you need to have a phone with a QR reader. Came free with the jacket so that’s fine I suppose

(I used to carry some dog tags round my neck when on my motorbike with various details, but my dad has changed his mobile number so I need to get a new one, will just get more stickers my motorbike lids)

Cheap is good, 4 cycling lids and 2 motorbike lids adds up!

This is what I’ve seen so far

somouk
    Free Member

Emergency details in the iPhone health app is a good one these days.

Or something in the location that is normally checked for medical conditions like a bracelet for diabetes modified to show ICE details.

Drac

For those in the ‘trade’, are there any that you notice to be particularly effective?

No, I always just look for a wallet or such like with ID in. A plasterised card with any essential details on is good.

benp1

How do they access the emergency details in an iphone?

(On a separate note, if you lose your phone there’s no obvious way to get the finder, if they’re a good natured soul, to find the owner easily. Always thought that was a flaw. Unless of course you put some text on the wallpaper)

bruneep

just tattoo your ICE details on your forehead and just in case you get decapitated get your limbs done.

jam-bo

How do they access the emergency details in an iphone?

if you’ve enabled it, its on the emergency tab from the lockscreen.

lunge

I wear a RoadID bracelet, once you get in the habit you rarely forget. Not sure if the emergency services would look there but it reassures me, and more importantly, my wife.

turboferret

I ordered a RoadID bracelet the other day, but also just enabled the medical emergency thing on my iPhone too. I wonder how many emergency services are aware of that feature and how to access it?

Cheers, Rich

benp1

@lunge, that’s the problem, reassurance is useful but I’d like it also to be effective!

@drac – My wallet is in a pocket in my commuting bag, so if I get knocked off you’d have to look for it, it’s not hidden though. Would you look for anything on the helmet?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think a bracelet or necklace would stand a fair chance of being spotted as the Medic Alert ones have been around for a while. Wallet first though, like Drac says. Not sure I’d remember to look for a sticker in a helmet even having read this thread.

enfht
    Free Member

Embossed butt plug.

bruneep

what if you skid along the ground on your head and the sticker is ground off?

allan23
    Free Member

Hospital staff liked these when they saw them on my wrist at my last appointment.

http://www.theidbandco.com/Customisable-Silicone-Bracelets

I’ve had two made up, one with Name, Address and NHS Number. The other has that I’m Diabetic, No allergies and the Mobile Numbers of two contacts.

I did have one with my medication on but keep changing tablets so left that off until the meds are more stable.

scotroutes

On the lock screen of my phone and startup screen of my Garmin

benp1

Excellent, I’ve learnt something with the Medical ID, complete doddle to do too, thanks

Drac

@drac – My wallet is in a pocket in my commuting bag, so if I get knocked off you’d have to look for it, it’s not hidden though. Would you look for anything on the helmet?

Helmets can often get discarded at scene. A bag the Police would look after or we would take with us.

GrahamS

I have the Medical ID thing set up on my iPhone as well as a contact number and email address on the lock screen wallpaper.

I wouldn’t rely on that if I actually had any alertable medical conditions mind you – but I figure it might be useful for a Next of Kin contact as I’ve heard of folk going through victim’s phones looking for “Mum” or “Wife” contacts.

benp1

Thats the challenge, you’d need to unlock my phone to find the contacts. Although the medical app is quite good, never knew about that

Drac, thanks, just the sort of info I was after, hadn’t thought about a cracked or damaged lid getting binned. I’ll just stick a card in my wallet, or as my driving licence is already in there, might just put a sticker on the back

I do have a minor allergy but it’s not life threatening, I just want something there for emergency contact details

Drac

Driving licence is good as the Police can trace it. A few additional details won’t do any harm.

Murray

Thanks, already have driving licence in my wallet but have added wife’s phone number to my Android lock screen

StuF

If you do parkrun a lot you can get your ICE + parkrun barcode on a wristband

linky

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Just get “If your colleagues are performing CPR on me, please call ******* and inform my wife/husband/sheep” tattooed on your chest. The medics won’t miss. 🙂

For good measure, have instructions telling your coworkers where an AED actually goes (because most of your colleagues will be prats who will clam up and forget their training, no matter how basic it is) if you ever conk it at work. 😆

timidwheeler

I have a post-it note with my details in a freeby plastic zip lock wallet. I keep it in my pocket. Ambo and old bill will always pat down pockets.
    Cost 2p.

v8ninety

To be fair; if the punter is in such a state as to not be able to tell me who he/she is; I’m not overly worried about finding out, there are more pressing matters at hand. Probably better asking the police or ED nurses amongst us what they do; it’s more their bag.

matt_outandabout

Ice on all our phone lock screens, including kids. In addition I have activated android device manager, so like this afternoon I could track eldest Oab as he took a solo bike ride up Dumyat.

I also have ID in wallet – name, address, mrs_oab number, and it is in lid pocket of all my rucsacks.

Cougar

I have a sticker on my phone and in my wallet, “in case of emergency call…”, figured that was way more immediate than any tech cleverness.

Dickyboy

To be fair; if the punter is in such a state as to not be able to tell me who he/she is; I’m not overly worried about finding out, there are more pressing matters at hand. Probably better asking the police or ED nurses amongst us what they do; it’s more their bag.

mate of mine was out cycling & had a stroke (fell off his bike for no reason & couldn’t get back on), managed to get a lift but then got chucked out coz the driver thought he was a weirdo, got himself home, then drove himself to hospital but couldn’t tell the staff who he was luckily there was a policeman who was able to id him by my mate showing the pc his car – some sort of ID would have helped

v8ninety

Dickyboy – completely agree, and kind of my point. Doesn’t help ambo types particularly, because we will defer IDing tasks to those with more time and resources. We don’t routinely do the NOK contacting either, unless it helps in the specific case. Wasn’t suggesting that it wouldn’t be potentially useful, just not particularly useful to ambos, contrary to popular assumption, in my personal experience. (Disclaimer – Obviously exceptions prove the rule etc)

andyl
    Free Member

I wrote “I.C.E. 07xxxxx” (GFs phone number) on the white activation sticker on the front of my debit card when I was out in Garda and realised I didn’t have anything on me in case of an accident. Have left it on now just in case as it’s right at the front of my wallet or in my camelbak when on rides. Should probably sort something properly but it was a quick solution at the time and if I ever lose my wallet and someone honest finds it I figure it might be useful then.

DrJ

if you’ve enabled it, its on the emergency tab from the lockscreen.

That’s useful if the emergency responder has his iPhone user guide handy.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s useful if the emergency responder has his iPhone user guide handy.
    Knows how to use a potentially very relevant feature on the world’s second most popular mobile OS.

FTFY. It’s not rocket surgery.

GrahamS

It’s a shame more folk aren’t aware of it as it is a pretty useful feature.

For DrJ’s sake: it’s positioned to be found by someone trying to access a locked iPhone in an emergency.

You do the normal “Slide to unlock” then on the passcode screen you hit the link that says “Emergency”. That takes you to a screen where you can dial emergency numbers (999, 112, 911 etc).
    On that screen there is a “Medical ID” button that gives you whatever medical information they have chosen to share, including an emergency contact that you can call from the phone without unlocking it.

Drac

All true V8 its handy but not routinely something we look for, certainly not next of kin.

Cougar

All true V8 its handy but not routinely something we look for, certainly not next of kin.

The whole ICE thing started as an Internet meme / chain mail anyway, it’s interesting to hear a first-hand opinion.

It’s a nice idea, but speaking as a “what else can I make my phone do” tech-head, I still hold it’s an unnecessarily complicated way of doing it. “Swipe this, click that, press the other, simples” is all well and good, but if you’re involved an accident which has left you so ****ed up that you can’t tell them who you are then there’s a good chance that your iPhone has suffered a similar fate. And if you’re lucky enough that it survives the accident, can you guarantee that still going to be ticking when the hospital staff eventually get around to looking for ID? “Oh sure, it’s easy, everyone has an iPhone charger don’t they, just plug it in, wait a while, then swipe this…” whilst you’re breathing your last?

Just write it down somewhere obvious. Far simpler and more reliable.

scotroutes

Or, you know, they could just press the power button and an emergency number could be on the lock screen (the worlds most popular mobile OS).

I’d can think of an almost unlimited number of scenarios where a phone would survive an accident, especially if it is carried somewhere safe (e.g. not strapped to the bars as a GPS)

DrJ

No it’s not. But as owner of said phone, it took me a moment to remember where that feature is hidden. Much as it pains me to say so, the Android implementation is better.

Drac

Yup far easier and no paying out to someone cashing in on the ICE fear.

DrJ

I put a sticker on the back of my drivers licence – I figured that is an obvious thing they will look for to ID me.

benp1

I’ve gone off the ICE ID on my helmet now, having read the real life advice above

If it’s not going to be used, then what’s the point?

I nearly always have my wallet with me. I’ve moved my driving licence so the top is immediately obvious when you open the wallet (in a card holder), i’ve put “ICE-PTO” on a little bit of cut up post-it note on the front, and the phone numbers for my wife and my dad on another piece of cut up post-it note on the back. It already has my name, address and DOB on it

The only time I don’t take my wallet is if I’m out with the dog for my local loop, and if I’m bikepacking. For the latter I’ll probably just take my licence with me, for the former I’ll just take the risk, it’s only round the park

dude
    Free Member

If something on your smartphone is really what you’re after, Windows phones have an app called “Lock Screen Text” which displays whatever text you want it to on the lock screen, maybe there is something on Android or iOS that is similar? I always have “Allergy – Penicillin” and my partners phone number on this, and seeing as lock screen never truly turns off, its always visible.

BUT… I do also have all of this on a piece of paper on the ID window in the side of my camelbak, and also on a piece of paper in my wallet, stuck to my driving license. I will always have at least two of these on me, so thought this was a sensible option.

And as others have said, if I am in such a state that I can’t tell them who I am, I would much rather the people attending to me actually get me into a state where I can instead of worrying about telling her indoors that I forgot to get the milk and I might be late home.

As for her indoors, she is allergic to Lidocaine, so responders knowing that would be extremely useful – when she had it before, she ended up in anaphylactic shock and nearly died.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Any Emergency Services folks here? ICE and other emergency ID tags’ is closed to new replies.