Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any electricians in? Tumble dryer problem
  • real_ben10
    Free Member

We have a Hotpoint condenser tumble dryer that has worked flawlessly until now – a week out of warranty! After about 30 seconds from turning it on it trips out the fuse for the downstairs sockets. I have no idea what might be wrong, any ideas chaps? Much appreciated.

simonbowns
    Free Member

had this a couple of months back – ours is a CTD something or other. The heating element had burnt out, causing a short. Replaced that (ebay, I think) and all has been great since. Few screws on the back to get to it, dead easy – take the chance to clear out a load of fluff at the same time!

simonbowns
    Free Member

(I am not an Electrician)

Cougar

If you don’t have any DIY luck, you can get an extended warranty from Hotpoint. Worked out cost effective for me compared to the price of a repair.

You could chance your arm with the 2 year EU warranty, too.

real_ben10
    Free Member

Might have go down the DIY route, I’ve replaced the heating element may times in our oven.

Would probably struggle with the extended warranty as it was bought for us by the mother in law who no longer has any kind of proof of purchase, I assume hotpoint would want this?

Cougar

One way to find out.

I think all they wanted from me was the serial number. It was a couple of years ago now though, so I couldn’t be sure.

real_ben10
    Free Member

Tried calling them earlier but they are shut saturdays. Will get the mrs to give them a bell next week. Worth a try.

shoggoth
    Free Member

Most likely the element i
    s the cause,sometimes the wiring
    loom can move and get trapped between the cabinet and the drum,
    the insulation then gets rubbed off and shorts out.

chorlton
    Free Member

E Spares is where I’ve bought stuff in the past. Quick delivery.
    Very easy to replace the element. If it is the element you can tell straight away. Unplug old one and plug in the new.
    £40-£50 though plus they recommend you change the thermostat at the same time, about a tenner.

lasty
    Free Member

Element replacement is a doddle – as above .
    Check heater continuity with a meter (high & low elements)to be 100% sure as a dodgy motor can also trip the electic – i`d bet on the element though, check it before shelling out .

mav12
    Free Member

i bought a part of hotpoint for a fridge freezer and iirc they said i could return it if it wasnt that was causing the problem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any electricians in? Tumble dryer problem’ is closed to new replies.