Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • any electricians in the house?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

can anyone offer advice…

i have an outbuilding that i want to put in a light (striplight) and a double socket. it was wired but was all taken out when i had the house rewired. the elcetricians put a junction box on the side of the house to feed it when we were ready to rewire. is the shed wiring something i can do myself, or do i really need to call the sparks back?

bumley
    Free Member

I think you will find any electrical work carried out in kitchens, bathrooms or outside needs Part P certification, I would suggest you call the sparks to confirm.

montylikesbeer

Get a sparks in, outside cable routes should have mechanical protection as well as an rcd.

Armoured cable is a must.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Lyons’ll be along in a sec, he’s a sparky… careful though, he’s had a couple 😉

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Best all round if you just got a sparky to do it for you, as mentioned above some form of Part P certification will be required for the work, SWA cable is not a “must” there are other options also you might need to look at some sort of ingress protection for the lights and accessories etc. There are also other factors to consider such as how far the out building is away from your house and what type of earthing arrangements you have, this will have an influence on what type of earthing system employed at the out building i.e. you shouldn’t export a PME (TN-CS) system outside of the house.

saladdodger
    Free Member

All the above are right

get someone in who will certify the work with building control, if not you will have all sorts of problems when you try to sell

oldgit
    Free Member

You’ve had a feed supplied.
    The common way to go is a ‘garage unit’ basically a two way consumer unit, one for lighting the other for power it’ll also have an RCD fitted.
    Will you need a Part P certificate? I suppose it’s a new circuit so I guess you will.
    It’s unlikely that anyone will certify your work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘any electricians in the house?’ is closed to new replies.