Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any electricians about please?
  • TrekEX8
    Free Member

I’ve recently changed four ceiling spotlights from 50WGU10s to 4W LEDs.

They’re controlled by two way switches. When one of the switches is off, the LEDs are totally off.

However, the other ‘off’ switching leaves the LEDs on very slightly; any ideas?

Is it worth doing anything about it? Many thanks.

footflaps

Sounds like you have miss-wired them when swapping them over. Did you make sure the wiring was identical or just assume that Brown was live etc? If the latter, then that’s where you went wrong as double switched lighting is a bit more complex and depending on who and when it was wired, you can have switched neutrals or switched lives. Google a few links, or better still get a multimeter out and find out how it really is wired.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I haven’t touched the wiring, only replaced the original bulbs for LEDs.

I’ve taken both switches off, wiring seems correct.

sam_underhill

Could be induction in the switch wire. I had a similar problem where the LED would let the voltage build until there was enough to flicker the lamp on and off and voltage would again drop to 0. This was a repeatable experiment with a simple rig connected to a socket for experimentation purposes. Only happened when the switch wire was over a couple of metres.

I fitted these to the problem circuits across the first lamp in the circuit.

I have since noticed that this product is usually featured inside a regular tube fitting. I can only assume for similar reasons.

p.s. I am not an electrician, but I did re-wire the whole house and have it all checked and signed off.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Thanks Sam, sounds hopeful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any electricians about please?’ is closed to new replies.