Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any Edinburghers prepared to do some turning for me/let me use a lathe?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Another project looms! All simple stuff would take an hour absolute max.

Or is there someone I can pay to do it at a reasonable cost?

geoffj

Come on then, give us a clue?

Northwind

I possibly could but I’m not very good and my lathe is a little toy unimat SL. So you’re probably going to get a better offer but let me know if you’re desperate…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm it would need to clamp up some 40mm ish dia alu bar/tube at biggest

cheers

Northwind

It’ll deal with the diameter… Does it need centre boring? And how long a piece?

castanea
    Free Member

Check out the Broxburn woodcraft club, they have loads of gear and are a nice group of guys.

There’s also a pro woodturner based out at new battle college, dalkeith. Can’t remember his details off hand but last time we were working on the state we dropped in by and some of his stuff is really well turned.

Edit: my bad. Wrong type of lathe.

somafunk

I imagine Al needs a metal turning lathe, and a supply of spoons.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I know I’m gonna regret it but I’m sure I can help you out sir. But only if you don’t mention the ‘D’ word.

scotroutes

Axle spacers for a Fatty?

somafunk

But only if you don’t mention the ‘D’ word

Disaster?,
    Decaffeinated?,
    Diseased?,

??????????………..

cynic-al
    Free Member

I too am confused at the “D word” – the last phrase you used was “piece of shit fat bike” 😀 I might take you up but it is a bit of a trek to yours, and I know you are busy.

It is indeed widening a rear hub…so making a female threaded tube to join 2 axles, cutting a hub in 2 then machining a 35mm stepped spacer to create the 35mm.

This has to be easier than machining a frame spacer a la Salsa (I did think about making one from 2 tubes and carbon, but thought the loads might be a bit much, and it would take longer.

So I’d need to be able to cut a M10 x 1mm internal thread, cut the hub in 2, turn bar/tube into the right diameter internally and externally, all pretty straightforward stuff.

Northwind

Bigger job than you’d want to do with my kit tbh, sorry!

porter_jamie

So I’d need to be able to cut a M10 x 1mm internal thread, cut the hub in 2, turn bar/tube into the right diameter internally and externally, all pretty straightforward stuff.

m10x1 internal you can’t cut it unless you happen to have a tiny internal 1mm pitch internal thread cutting tool already ground up. Most places wont have an m10x1 tap either, they will have loads of m10x1.5

shandcycles
    Free Member

and for that reason, I’m oot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm….there’s a way round that!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ahhhh…I get the D word! Get them sorted Shand and I’ll not pester you!

Erm…so anyone know a machine shop that would do it?

porter_jamie

found a tap

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any Edinburghers prepared to do some turning for me/let me use a lathe?’ is closed to new replies.