Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any easy Scottish long distance routes?
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’m cut out for anything other than mild off-road tracks…

Before I buy a mountain bike I’d like to know if there are any long Highland routes which are technically easy and might be ridden on a rigid bike, preferably avoiding roads, but long enough for an enjoyable day or two away from civilisation.

bigG
    Free Member

Depends where you’re based, there’s shed loads of riding out there

ian martin
    Free Member

Scotland’s full of such routes and if you’ve got a smart phone then download ‘Bikehub’ which will show you loads of options and navigate you also.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I did the coast to coast, Skye to Montrose, on a rigid back when I was fit. Mostly you can choose land rover tracks which are not too demanding, and I assume you won’t be trying to keep up with someone on a different bike. There will be places you’ll want to get off and walk.

*Opens can of worms*

Front suss aids comfort and keeps the front wheel following the ground better, so braking and steering are easier.

As G said, where?

deejayen
    Free Member

That sounds promising. I’m near Inverness, but able to ride or drive to a route.

I’ve had a basic MTB skill lesson, and although I got on okay, I didn’t really enjoy it – in fact I’m not sure I’d want to repeat the experience!

I’m a road cyclist, but have a hankering to get off road into remote places, although I suspect I’d be happier on the sort of terrain that could be ridden on a hybrid or touring bike.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Great Glen Way is pretty easy. Mostly towpaths and forest tracks, though a few steep hills. You could do it in two fairly relaxed days.

scotroutes

Loads and loads. From Inverness, you could head for Glen Affric where you’ll find lots of land-rover tracks through the forests and along Loch Affric.

Or head to Aviemore and round Loch Morlich, Loch an Eilean etc.

Or have a look at my blog. I’m very much a “wheels on the ground” rider so most of the stuff I do would be suitable for you.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/

If you have any specific questions about any of those routes, I’d be happy to answer them for you.

br
    Free Member

If you’ve never MTB’d before, probably not a good idea to start riding in such a remote area…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Track at the back of Loch Laggan and loop back SE side of Lochan na Earba, parking about 433831. (?Sustrans?) Route from Boat of Garten to Slochd and back, via Sluggan Bridge. They would both feel remote without being so. The second is mostly Wade Road, if you don’t know worth learning about.

epicyclo

An easy one, on estate tracks, is go in at Ardoss just up from Dingwall, through Glencalvie etc and come out on the dam side of Loch Glascarnoch on the DIngwall-Ullapool road. It’s possible to continue back to Dingwall almost all offroad from there. I’ve done it – some nice scenery, and a good one day break in ride for early summer.

If you want to do it at an easy pace, I’m up for it because I’m intending doing it in the next few weeks (I ride a rigid singlespeed).

Also the Corrieyairack is a relatively easy ride, you just need to be prepared for weather. I prefer doing it from the A9 side because the views down to Loch Ness are better IMO.

From the sound of what you have said, you may be interested in the Rough Stuff Fellowship type of riding, ie ride to get places rather than for thrills.

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks very much for all that. I’ll have a read of Scotroutes’ blog, and check out the other suggested routes. I’d be interested in joining Epicyclo if I get a suitable bike in time – please bear me in mind and PM or email me if you make any plans. I haven’t ridden it for ages, and then only on the road, but I have a cyclocross fixie – I don’t know if that would be a good companion to a rigid singlespeed…

maddyutah

Fife costal path and you will definitely be away from civilisation as you pass through Buckhaven.

martymac

@muddyutah, that is true.

birky
    Free Member

There’s a coast to coast from Bonar Bridge to Ullapool. You could overnight there and do the return the following day? I’ve not done it but think there was an organised ride on here once upon a time. Not too far for you to travel to the start either.

marty
    Free Member

Not sure the FCP counts as “easy” if you’re doing the whole thing and not skipping the PITA bit from St A to Boarhills and the sandy bits…

epicyclo

Cyclocross fixie would be perfecctly ok for the first ride I proposed. The bike I’m planning to do it on will be over 80 years old…

maccruiskeen

the Bonar Bridge – Ullapool one is something I’ve always fancied

its chronicled here and appears moderate in terms of terrain although the distance and remoteness is quite committing.

maddyutah

If doing FCP I would take the road from boahills to St Andrews the rest of it very straight forward.I must say I really enjoy the FCP living in Kinghorn I’m on it a lot.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the Ullapool to Bonar Bridge route there and back in a day with a couple of forumites. It’s mostly Land Rover track with a couple of river crossings. There’s some rolling tarmac too. Top ride.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113038090087066024057/20100411UllapoolToBonarBridgeC2C2C?noredirect=1

scotroutes

I’d be up for a re-run of that C2C sometime this summer. Is there enough interest for a STW ride-out?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’d be up for that too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’d be up for a re-run of that C2C sometime this summer. Is there enough interest for a STW ride-out?

I might be tempted again.

Do you fancy a multi day loop from Pitlochry to Bridge of Orchy, WHW to Fort William, EHW to Laggan, Culra Bothy, Dalwhinnie to Pitlochry?

I don’t have any bike packing gear, I would just use a rack and panniers on my Fargo. Maybe sometime in May, I need to get my fitness back after my shed building sojourn.

scotroutes

Bike packing gear? I assumed you were planning it as a one-day route 😆

I could be up for some, or all of that. Mrs ScotRoutes is away doing Mount Toubkhal at the start of May though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I could be up for some, or all of that.

Lightly pencil it in then. I can be fairly spontaneous. If there is a window of good weather, I can just pack and go.

deejayen
    Free Member

Epicyclo, that sounds interesting. What sort of bike is it? I thought my 1950’s track bike and 1965 Moulton were getting on a bit!

I’ve fancied doing the Ullapool – Bonar Bridge for a few years, despite not being a mountain biker. I once rode the first couple of miles or so to see what it was like, and always meant to do the whole thing, probably camping out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any easy Scottish long distance routes?’ is closed to new replies.