Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any doctors/physios in the house?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I appear to have done something to the top of my back: It feels like I have pulled a muscle at the top, between the spine and the shoulder blade; however, the pain seems to run down my arm and I feel it in my elbow and, to a lesser extent, in my hand. In fact, it almost feels like a trapped nerve.

Any ideas? I tried calling the doctors this morning but couldn't get through so thought I'd see if anyone here has experienced the same thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Internet diagnosis is virtually useless but sounds to me like muscle spasm. that can affect nerves. So its an overuse or posture related injury, a muscle has gone into spasm and this has affected the nerves. If I am right its all temporary and will resolve

GP is the first port of call

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Walk in centre attendance might be handy, especially if they have X-ray facilities. Any injury/overuse in recent days?

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree TJ that internet diagnosis is not the way forward, but was just biding my time until I see the quack.

MFL: It was done down the gym last thursday. I have done it before, but it has gone away in a day or two. This time; however, it has been at least a week and shows no sign of getting better.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GP to eliminate bony injury then sports physio to release the spasm.

infidel
    Free Member

X-rays will more than likely be useless unless you have a history of trauma associated with this. I agree with TJ re: GP and then physio.

ro
    Free Member

Internet diagnosis is simple, I can see the problem from here.

Congratulations, you're pregnant!

meehaja
    Free Member

when you hurt a muscle, there may b localised swelling. If you think of the back muscles as a jacket that you wear, and underneath that all your nerves and blood vessles run. Tightness in the back at shoulder blade height could constrict or apply pressure to the nerves across your shoulder, into arms hands etc. I think blood vessles run across the front but i can't remember without looking it up? Doctor will most likely prescribe ibuprofen 400mg (like 2x the ones you get from the super market). You can take these yourself, best bet is to speak to a chiropracter or massage therapist (try to avoid ones who practice in their underwear, They look nice, but their prices are steep and they tend not to know too much about anatomy!)

Mention to them that you have an active problem as some may not want to work on you until it has settled down. Keep moving the affected arm round and keep moving your neck. In fact, any movement that hurts, do it! The worst thing you can do with non traumatic back pain is sit/lie still as the muscles will then seize up, making recovery take even longer.

If I was allowed to prescribe, I'd write you out a script for ibuprofen, Good rum, Ice cream and some qulaity old war films. That and a week off work to recover.

Good luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any doctors/physios in the house?’ is closed to new replies.