Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • any doctors/medical people on here today.
  • ton

need a bit of info.

wwaswas

not sure, but don’t let that stop you asking 😉

chojin
    Free Member

My GF is a nurse, and my ex was a doctor – ergo, i’m fully qualified to answer *any* question 🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

We need pix

thejesmonddingo

Medical nurse for 30+ years,what’s up ton?
    Ian

ton

ian, i am on 13mgs of warfarin a day.
    with the cold my hands are cold to the point of nearly crying with pain.
    tried all the winter gloves i can think of.
    is there anything i can take or do to sort this out.

wwaswas

I’m not a doctor;

surely with thinner blood you’d have better/more circulation than before when capillaries shut down a bit due to the cold?

have you looked at heated gloves ton? Also, my specialized radiants have a little pocke tin the back to put a gel handwarmer in each one.

DrP

Ton, warfarin shouldn’t affect your hands/circulation like that.

Might sound silly, but do your hands change colour (red, blue, white…)?

DrP

thejesmonddingo

+1 for DrP,are you still smoking?
    Ian

ton

DrP……..yes they do turn colour
    Ian…….never smoked

wwaswas

I did wonder about colour change and Reynauds – the web has a lot to answer for in worrying the probably well…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

DrP is actually a genuine doctor you know.

He has treated me in the past. I can heartily recommend him.

thejesmonddingo

What’s the warfarin for ton?
    Ian
    P.S. are you on anything else?

djflexure

The warfarin is immaterial – quite high dose but guess your INR is optimised at that level.

Are you B blocked? More likely to leave you feeling the chill.

dropoff

Ton, try some down filled mittens, TK often have them cheap, always keep my hands warm.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

lmao @ stoner – funny as…

MountainMutant
    Free Member

err it’s -10. What do you expect!?

thejesmonddingo

Anything that causes peripheral vasoconstriction is a likely candidate,
    as are some of the things they give you warfarin for,e.g. cold haemagglutinin diseaes.On a practical note,anything that keeps your hands warm but not hot is good,i.e heated gloves,down,neoprene etc.
    Ian

thejesmonddingo

MM ton is definitely not stupid,insulting his intelligence is a little foolhardy.
    Ian

ivantate
    Free Member

how come when I asked I got told to man up?

i have a similar problem, all the blood appears to drain out of 2/3 of my fingers. Its worst if i am in a cold car with my hands on the steering wheel. not usually too bad if i can get my core temp up/heart rate up before the cold sets in.

djflexure

Man Up 😆

MountainMutant
    Free Member

🙄

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

ton – Member
    my hands are cold to the point of nearly crying with pain…is there anything i can take or do to sort this out.

Can you get your Dr to write you a prescription for a dose of…

rs
    Free Member

ton, didn’t you lose a fair bit of weight? maybe cause you don’t have big fat sausage fingers anymore, they feel the cold more 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The warfarin is immaterial – quite high dose but guess your INR is optimised at that level.

Are you B blocked? More likely to leave you feeling the chill.

I have seen one patient with cold hands on warfarin. But bblockers are a more likely culprit. Look for a drug that ends in -olol. Would not be entirely surprising given what I recall of your story.

ivantate
    Free Member

its appears i have some form of this reynauds thing.

Another stw diagnosis

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Oh – and “purple toes” is listed as a warfarin side effect in the BNF…

ton

yes guys, beta blockers too.

i usually mtfu, but this is causing me severe pain in my fingers.

P20

Are you diabetic?

tazzymtb

ivantate could be primary reynauds (or loads of other possible conditions) but if you’ve ever used heavy duty power tools/ orbital sanders / chainsaws for very long periods of time it’s also classic stage 1-2 VWF symptoms with episodic finger blanching up to the 2nd distal joint.

ton

not diabetic.

all this trouble started when i started taking warfarin and beta blockers.
    it was before the cold weather.
    in similar cold weather over the years i usuallyride with a base layer and a windproof, and just windproof gloves.
    this year i have been wearing a base layer, a mid layer and a winter outer coat.
    ear muff type thing and a wooly hat too.

tazzymtb

Ton with his ear muff type things

sorry couldn’t resist

DrP

I’d consider the beta blockers as the culprit, given your timings of things…
    I take it warfarin is for AF/irregular heart beat? You’ll prob read on the internet about “embolic clots” causing blue, cold limbs. This is usually just one limb/finger, that acutely happens, and doesn’t get better.

With the colour change, Raynaud’s phenomenon sounds likely, in which case I’d have a chat with your GP to perhaps try a different drug to the Beta blocker, and maybe add another drug to ‘open’ the blood vessels. In the mean time, warmer gloves……..

BTW Ton – I never thanked you for recommending the skinny cross tyres for all this snow (michelin ones), I got them, and can now travel on snow again!

DrP

BigJohn

I was on warfarin once, over winter. Boy, I felt the cold. But everybody who “knew their stuff” told me I was wrong, and it couldn’t be the warfarin that was making me feel like that.

The upside was I had an excuse for not eating broccoli. 🙂

ton

DrP, the michelin tyres are my bargain buy of the year.
    £7.99 when the ice/snow started and not even a slight slip/slid/skid or nothing on snow/ice or nowt. 8)

ivantate
    Free Member

cheers tazzy. Looking at it i think its primary as i have had it for years and its not really got worse. have a few other issues at the moment so will get it checked out next time i am at the docs.

I will be trying to avoid it from now on. There is manning up and having your fingers rotting!

Ton, i would give biking a miss if its below 0c.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘any doctors/medical people on here today.’ is closed to new replies.