Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Any doctors in the house? WTF are these?
  • Harry_the_Spider

For about a year I’ve been getting a couple of hard skin patched growing on my finger and thumb. Every few weeks I’ll pick/scratch the top off and a considerable plug of skin will come out and it will bleed for a bit. Then it grows back and I repeat the procedure. It started on my thumb, then I got one on my finger and now another one is appearing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks like a wart.

AdamW
    Free Member

Wart? Last one I had was when I was doing my PhD. After a month of using acetic acid or salicylic acid I thought ‘sod that’ and used concentrated phosphoric acid. Gone in about two minutes. Left a little scar, mind!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thepurist

Check the “duct tape cure” if you CBA with over the counter warty remedies.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

What do you do Mr. Spider? Any repetative use of finger and thumb?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

looks like some sort of wart / verucca type thingy to me

Harry_the_Spider

What do I nuke it with?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Do not think its a wart or verucca, no deviations in the finger print ‘lines’. Any pain? Pain when squeezing laterally or direct pressure?

tonyd

Warts. More common in toads than spiders.

allthepies
    Free Member

For over a year I had a wart on my hand, tried everything and wouldn’t shift.

Then bought one of these from Boots (approx £7 but worth it!):-

Wartner Pro

Follow the instructions, easy to apply and bye bye wart!

Disclaimer: Only use if said affliction is a wart of course.

woody2000

I reckon you got something stuck in there and what you see is scar tissue. You keep picking out the scar and the process repeats itself.

I am not a Doctor 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

good point captain

GPs

allthepies
    Free Member

I reckon you got something stuck in there and what you see is scar tissue. You keep picking out the scar and the process repeats itself.

On his thumb and finger and another (growing) site ?

Torminalis
    Free Member

That looks like exactly what I have on my thumb.

A few months ago, I got rather drunk and in a bid to be free of the little swine once and for all, I administered about 10 times the reccomended dose of cryotherapy to it using a kit I got from the shops.

It suggests that you should apply the cotton bud style applicator for no more than 20 seconds. I got through half a dozen of those things for about 30 seconds each having failed to sort it using their reccomendations (which are clearly for sobre softies).

I awoke the next morning mildly worried that I may have just killed off my thumb entirely. There was a large white patch in the middle of my thumb which gradually blistered, popped and eventually grew over.

Sodding wart is still in tact though. So, what is this duct tape malarkey? Surely I can’t get drunk and go mental with the duct tape… goes off to rummage on google…

tonyd

I reckon you got something stuck in there and what you see is scar tissue

But he has two and a third one appearing. I’m pretty sure I had the same a few years ago, burnt it off with some of that warty acid stuff.

I’m not a doctor either 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Sodding wart is still in tact though. So, what is this duct tape malarkey?

Forget it, use the pen what I linked to above, it works.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Forget it, use the pen what I linked to above, it works.

I’m in. will report back.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

As woody2000 said looks more mechainical that systemic. Possible foriegn object embedded in both that you’ve missed, or a ‘corn’ from repeated pressure. Either way if it really bothers you then go see a GP. Dont ‘nuke’ it, you will probably do more damgage than is there already, and if it is mechanical be a pointless excersize anyway.

woody2000

If he’s owt like me (I hope not for his sake!), I cut myself/get stuff stuck in my fingers all the time and get patches like that, and they can stick around for a long time (especially if I pick them).

dan1980
    Free Member

Amputation is the only answer

For tips…

captaincarbon
    Free Member

dan1980..thats it! stock up on elastplast and fire up the jigsaw!

tonyd

Torminalis – some of those warty remover freeze/acid things are pretty crap. I tried various ones before it finally worked. I think eventually it froze/burnt deep enough to get the whole root, then the blister lifts/pushes it out.

I had a wart on the top of my head once too, very embarrassing at the barbers when sexy hairdresser girl shrieks and asks what’s that stuck to my head! Tried burning/freezing that off too but had to go to the doctors in the end for some industrial freezing, left a crater in my head for a while and really hurt.

I would add that I’m not generally a warty person, nor am I a toad.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m in. will report back.

Good man, a tip though. When you first use it you’ll have to swivel the dispensing “click” wheel quite a bit to get the first drops of gel out. The instructions make it sound like it’ll start running out after a few clicks.

Jamie
    Free Member

Looks painful….

captaincarbon
    Free Member

The chemical or freeze topical applications dont ‘freeze’ or ‘burn out’ a wart. They cause damage to the lesion, exposing the virus to the hosts bloodstream, and hopefully the host will react, and fight the virus that caused the wart. As there are over 2000 known strains of mosaic virus that cause these things, chemical nuking or freezing can not only be pretty hit and miss, but also very damaging as they destroy good tissue as well as the site you want to treat.

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm… The one in the thumb is at the same place where I picked up a splinter form last years christmas tree. The lump arrived shortly afterwards.

I’ll hold back on the nukes and try and avoid picking. They do hurt if I press them or run over them with a finger nail.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

You still have somtheing in there then i reckon! Or it could be scar tissue formed in healing the lesion. More likely to be the latter, it should calm down if you stop picking at it.. (did i really just say that?). 😕

derek_starship
    Free Member

You need to speak to the wart surgeon.

Harry_the_Spider

You need to speak to the wart surgeon.

[very specific comment]

Who, Craig the welder?

[/very specific comment]

GrahamS

D0NK

apparently my mate had some pretty stubborn warts when he was a kid after a load of unsuccessful chemical/freeze therapy his mum had a bloody good pray about it and they shifted. Miracle.

So his mum says anyway.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you might need to change your username

derek_starship
    Free Member

+1 D0NK – if you can’t get hold of an oxy-kit – ten Hail Marys and the first verse of Away in a Manger should do the trick.

HTH

Cougar

They look like friction-related callouses to me. Have you considered changing hands after 100?

falkirk-mark

I had one of them, I cut round it a bit and pulled it out with the pliers on my leatherman then froze the cut. IIRC I had 2 unsuccessful attempts to remove it and it grew back before I got it out. (I also had a small anaesthetic, 2 litres of beer)

Militant_biker

Re: Wart treatment. I had one on my finger frozen by the doc – it grew back quickly and I couldn’t be bothered going back. Tried the over the counter freezing kits, they were rubbish. Spoke to a doc friend from school, who advised testing my pain threshold, as that was the best way to get them out. (Doc gave up too soon, as I went way beyond the time people normally tell them to stop…)

So I used a drill bit, held in pliers, heated on the kitchen gas burner and applied until the drill bit went cold. Repeated again a few days later. End result, no wart & no scar. 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Freeze it off with pipe freezing kit.

Worked on my verucca… ANNIHILATED 🙂

Torminalis
    Free Member

Spoke to a doc friend from school, who advised testing my pain threshold

That sounds like an 8 pint treatment.

iDave
    Free Member

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Any doctors in the house? WTF are these?’ is closed to new replies.