Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any DIY light builders around any more?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Seems that the Chinese lights have cleared out the DIYers these days. MTBR light forum seems a fairly desolate place now. Trying to get up to date info from there is not what it used to be.

So, anyone out there still tinkering? I’ve made loads of lights but nothing new for a few years no but have the itch to make something lighter/smaller than my 7000 + 2000 lumen combo…

TheBrick
    Free Member

I made soem when Cree led first came out but nothign sinse then. The optics was what I struggeld to find a supplier for. Have you tired candle power forum?

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got a very good supplier for parts, it’s info on the LED/optic combo’s I struggling with. Lots of new stuff out since my last lights and wondering what works best.
    Was on CPF too but nothing really up to date on there either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Cpf …… be careful what you say on there ? I was banned for saying it was over policed .

nickjb
    Free Member

I used to build my own when it wasn’t possible to get what I wanted for what I wanted to pay but now a SSx2 is light enough, bright enough and £15 there really isn’t much point.

niggle
    Free Member

I was making lights simply because there wasn’t anything available. Now with options from eBay to big brands covering most of what I want I’d say I am an ex-builder.

That said my last build was using up spare parts for a retro front/rear dynamo set up into “vintage” lights for my pub bike.

stevied
    Free Member

I guess with the abundance of Magic Shine etc it is impractical to make things now. When I started LED’s were just getting good.
    I’ve got the design done so will order some parts and see what comes out of the cnc/solder station.
    On paper it’ll be close to 10,000 lumens in 2 lights. I know I could get a couple of eBay specials but where’s the fun in that? 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

I still use my diy lights, same ones for 5(?) years. I don’t bother with my powerful setup as it’s too bright! The technology plateaued so their doesn’t seem any point building new ones.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any DIY light builders around any more?’ is closed to new replies.