• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any dishwasher repair – fixers around?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Got a Bosch Exxcell dishwasher. Stopped working. It switches on, makes the sound as though it's calling for water, then rumbles as it usually does but with no water.

I've tried:
    – reset buttons
    – checked water supply / pipe – all fine
    – cleaned filter
    – added water into the base and it drained that fine
    – accessed the water float pump(?) and manually swirthed it so the machine filled with water, but didn't pump it around (altho sounds like the pumps going)
    – cleaned the spray jet whirly things

Any ideas???

ta

zaskar
    Free Member

Knackered pump?

Aus
    Free Member

Mmmm – maybe. But it does sound as tho the pump's running. Wonder if the control unit/PCB is knacked?

Rio

Our Hotpoint-that's-really-a-Bosch dishwasher stopped working this week, I found this an excellent source of information on how to fix it, including the secrets of putting it back together once I'd disassembled it 😳

BigJohn

I've got a Bosch/Hotpoint hybrid as well and it has a similar problem.

There are 3 things that can stop water coming in. One is a blocked water softener, which is fatal. One is the inlet valve cut-off and the other is water in the sump, where there is a flood detector cut-off.

If the machine makes the same rumble whrever you turn the progress knob to (and the powder flap doesn't release as you turn it) then it's a full sump.

Solution – undo the inlet pipe and turn the unit on its side (or upside down). If you get a lot of water coming out onto the floor its the sump. Run the machine without the pipe connected for a minute or so (which will reset the cut-off if that's the problem.

It should be fine then.

I'm not a repair man, but I've been having a problem with ours and our local mender has helped me out on this.

Ours has a small leak, which fills the sump and means I have to tip mine on its front every 5 days to keep it going.

Stoner
    Free Member

When my litle bosch did that I identified it as a PCB fault. Got a new one on eBay and its been running fine since.

Symptoms were progressively dirtier clean cycles and then eventually sounds of relay clicks coming from the door when there shouldnt be.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all.

When switching on, it empties the sup and then fills with water. It then just hums without forcing the water into the machine.

The flood detector area had a little water in so I drained it and made sure it was switched off (altho not sure how to reset it?).

Seems like a PCB prob?

BigJohn

If it's the inlet cut-off it resets by being run with the inlet pipe detached. Turn it upside down and try again.

Aus
    Free Member

blimey – ok. Do I run it upside down, or literally just stand it on its head and then return it to normal position before running it?

Rio

Seems like a PCB prob?

May equally be gunked pipes stopping the water from circulating round the machine. Have a look at this – link.

BigJohn

Switch Off
    Turn off water and disconnect inlet pipe
    Turn upside down
    Turn back upright
    Mop floor
    Switch on
    Run normal cycle for couple of minutes
    Re-connect inlet pipe and turn on water
    Run normal cycle
    Say bloody hell it worked

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ours follows a similar pattern of misbehaviour which is caused by the pressure switch underneath, not a bosch but under the front is a rubber pipe attached to the switch, if i pull this off and blow into the switch clicks and we are back in business

Aus
    Free Member

right – will have a go later – many thanks

Aus
    Free Member

thanks for all the advice. If anyone's interested … have tried with no joy
    – turning upside down
    – cleaning pipes (they were pretty clean anyway)
    – float level switch cleaned / reset

When switching on for a normal cycle the machine
    – drains briefly
    – fills with cold water
    – then seems to 'gulp' rather than swooshing the clean water into the sprayer. The pump sounds like it's running, it just seems to stall rather than get going
    – after a couple of mins of this, it all seems to hibernate
    🙁

BigJohn

Just want to recommend the White Goods Forum

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums

Sorted my leak out.

brassneck

Could be the control board (see EBay as above) or the thermostat or the element – sounds like it's filling with water OK, just not heating it enough or maybe at all to move on to the next part of the program.

hainey
    Free Member

Unscrew the PCB control board and look for blackened junctions around any of the solder joints. This happened to mine with the same issues and i just re-soldered it and it worked a treat.

Aus
    Free Member

UPDATE if interested 😕

Thanks for all the tips … had a go at most of them and all seems fine.

Now pretty sure it's the circulation pump that is seized or blocked. Power's getting to the pump and the pump's getting warm/hot, but doesn't appear to be spinning.

Any ideas on how to check if blocked rather than seized … and if it's seized, I guess the price of a new one outweighs the machine's worth 🙁

Rio

You should be able to access the pump rotor in the sump by removing a plastic cover. Try spinning it by hand – it's like a fish-tank pump driven by a magnet so it should feel "lumpy" when you turn it. Usual caveat is to watch out in case it's got a piece of broken glass jamming it.

Edit: I may be wrong there, that may just be the drain pump, not the recirculation pump…

jordie
    Free Member

some hotpoints have a fault with the blades of the pump falling off

Aus
    Free Member

HELP! Thanks for assistance so far …

Whipped the motor out as it seemed siezed and took it apart. It was clogged up – now clean and smooth. Put it all back together and motor running nicely, spinning water around …

BUT it 'aint filling with water now. Works fine if I manually fill it, but it's not auto filling. Must be something I've goofed up on taking it apart. Any clues … pls. Becoming a bad obsession 😡

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any dishwasher repair – fixers around?’ is closed to new replies.