Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any diesel engine experts in the house?
  • nasher
    Free Member

I have fiat ducato 2005, 2.3jtd van (an iveco engine) and the turbo basically doesnt spool until about 2200rpm, previously it was about 1300rpm. This means that when loaded the van has very little power unless im driving allthe time in a low gear and ghe turbo is spinning.

Diagnostics show everything ok, the air mass sensor, all filters, oil has been changed. All pipes and connections checked and the egr, actuator gates etc cleaned.

Still the same problem, before The turbo is removed anyone here have an idea what the problem may be?

The problem seems to gave started when i got the clutch replaced, is there anything that could have been damaged when the gearbox was dropped?
    Ta

rc200f8
    Free Member

Split/detatched vacuum pipes possibly damaged/knocked off when removing gearbox, or sized turbo wastegate/variable vanes could give boost at higher rpm and not store any trouble codes.

windydave13
    Free Member

Check all the intake pipes are fitted together correctly. I had one move between the maf and the turbo so it was sucking in air after the MAF. ECU was getting confused thinking no air was going in so struggled to get to 40mph.

No errors showed and even at idle nothing showed out of place. Only by running my hand along the pipe did I discover one of the joints had come apart
    Dave

maxtorque

If it’s a VTN (variable nozzle turbine) then these vanes can stick, and often, if it is using (the earlier) vacuum control system, there will be no codes to show for it.

Also, as turbo’s age, the first bit to be lost is low rpm boost threshold (because this is where housing clearance and blade geometery is critical for response)

dooge
    Free Member

As above, boost problem is usually a case of a split or loose pipe and wont register any odd codes or warnings. Id imagine its a vacuum solenoid controlled turbo so there also could be a sticky solenoid or split vacuum hoses.

nasher
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

I’m going to spend the afternoon, removing, checking and cleaning every single pipe, see what that does.

will also give the solenoids a look

ant77
    Free Member

Sounds like a vacuum pipe come loose or a stuck actuator.
    Would imagine your turbo is variable, so the ecu detects engine speed, and hence volume/speed of exhaust gas and either closes or opens vanes on the turbo to get more or less pressure to turn. Like a sailor opening up more sail.
    If there’s no pressure to the actuator to move the vanes they’ll be stuck in off.
    Once the speed of the exhaust reaches a certain point it’ll turn the turbo no matter what and you’ll get boost. The ecu at this point would have fully closed the vanes anyway.
    So def check pipes. Try pulling them off and sucking them (engine off) and it should just hold on to your tongue. If it lets go, then there’s a leak.

spooky_b329

Try my forum http://www.ivecoforums.com, not as busy as here but I’ve managed to collect a few Iveco experts and they are pretty helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any diesel engine experts in the house?’ is closed to new replies.