Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any desktop PC deals out there?
  • brassneck

Replacement for the in laws, must be a desktop (monitor and keyboard full size required, no requirement to move it, ever) so looking for something like 8Gb of RAM, and OK processor (i3? don’t have experience of current Pentium/Celerons, maybe they are OK), 500Gb ish disk space, cheap 🙂 OS included. WLAN built in.

Nice to haves / bonus points for – SSD, Small form factor

Seen anything that fits the bill? The odd one on EBuyer looks OK, but I reckon STW can do better.

Stoner
    Free Member

have a look on morgancomputers for refurb stock bargins.

z1ppy

stick to i3 or i5 IMO, especially if you want it to last.
    Dell refurb site is often mentioned but will require a bit of digging and investigating on your part, to get the best out of it (not sure they sell monitor via it.. go take a look)

Asked to look at why a new Celeron n3050 was so slow last week.. it’s cause their shite! CPU maxed out for ages after boot (with spamware/surplus crap removed), was also looking at a 4+ year old laptop that was quicker.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brassneck

Cool, ta, monitor not required .. will avoid Celeron then 😀

jekkyl

iiwy I’d stay local, I’ve aways had a better service from a local guy and they’re prices are usually very good. Find one and ask him to quote you a build.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I can speak for consumer PCs but when it comes to Pro machines (the OS is different, they’re no flasher) there’s some great discounts on 4th Gen i3/5/7 machines at the moment to make way for 6th Gen stuff – there’s little in it performance wise.

You might find that buying a machine with an SSD means having to flashier machine than you would otherwise, but SSD’s are pretty cheap now – Novatech sells 500GB SSDs for about £100, they come with easy software to imagine the existing drive and often a free game if you’re into that, if you’re not you can sell the code on eBay for £30 or so.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Intel NUCs are very small indeed.

Just bought an i7 one and rehoused it in an Akasa fanless can – very nice 🙂 Case was only £100.

brassneck

iiwy I’d stay local, I’ve aways had a better service from a local guy and they’re prices are usually very good. Find one and ask him to quote you a build.

If I could be arsed to build it from bits I’d do it myself 🙂

Did think about NUC but I don’t have to look at it all day 🙂

Ended up with an ASUS for £300 – W10, SSHD, 8Gb, WLAN, SFF – and the budget approver said yes.

Mounty_73

I have always avoided Celeron cpu’s.

john_drummer
    Free Member

try http://www.cclonline.com – they’re on the A650 in Bradford, if that’s local for you, at the Bradford end of the Drighlington bypass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any desktop PC deals out there?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts