Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 213 total)
  • Any design lawyers on the forum? AnaNichoola & Wiggle top uncanny similarities.
  • Clover

What a remarkable coincidence there is between these two tops. Nothing, surely, to do with them approaching her for a collaboration and then going quiet?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anna-Glowinski/1407513006188925

I hate how little power small independents have versus giant companies, is there anyone on here who can help?

peteimpreza

Is there a non Facebook link?

scotroutes

As an example….

Ana
    Ana

DHB/Wiggle

peteimpreza

What does Ana have to say?

I met her at Big Bike Bash and would be telling Wiggle they are losing a customer if this is a rip off of her designs.

scotroutes

[quote]18months ago @wiggle bike shop came to my design studio/office and we spent a couple of hours looking at my designs with a view to buy. A year later we talked about a collaboration. The talks went quiet and they brought out their own version. Angry? Yes! Heartbroken? More than I knew was possible! Powerful? Nope 🙁 [/quote]

peteimpreza

That’s enough for me.

Email to Wiggle on its way.

No more business from us.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cut, fabric and fastenings all look different to me. Apart from the stars I see no real similarity.

zilog6128

I was going to say that, based on the FB link, the Wiggle design although no doubt inspired by Ana doesn’t look that similar bar the fact they’re both ladies tops with stars on.

Then I saw scotroute’s post with the other top and it’s mega obvious the wiggle one is just a blatant mash-up of the two designs. Poor show from whoever at Wiggle is responsible. Maybe worth emailing someone high up? I doubt they would be happy about the situation.

sweepy
    Free Member

Stars have been around for ever, they don’t belong to her.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

the DHB one looks nicer, I’m sorry, but there’s nothing wholly unique about her jersey, bad form from DHB/Wiggle, quite possibly, but cycling jerseys, shorts, etc haven’t really changed much in an age.

quick look on ebay shows this:

aracer
    Free Member

Am I missing something here? Is it just the stars design they’ve “ripped off”?

sweepy
    Free Member

They both have two holes for your arms, coincidence- I think not!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

to be fair to DHB, there is still a designer involved, you can show me as many jerseys as you like, I couldn’t rip one off, as I wouldn’t know where to start.

edit:

Some more starts and stripes, there’s a conspiracy at work, wiggle have ripped off America

Euro
    Free Member

Happens all the time in all facets of design. Inspired by is the usual phrase.

Still, i’m never buying anything with stars on it again. Or sleeves or a zip for that matter.

Clover

Speaking as a lady who buys the odd ladies top, I’d say that the differently sized stars are an AnaNichoola design style. Much classier than the examples of stars above (without wishing to cast nasturtiums on boys’ taste).

The ‘we’d like to work with you’ then bringing out ‘coincidentally’ similar designs happens all too often to small independent designers. It’s rubbish when a big successful company that could give a hand up without it knocking any skin off their nose instead gives a great big shove down.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, unfortunately it happens all the time – but fashion is pretty much all about bigger companies jumping on trends invented by smaller companies. They’d just say they were inspired by the designs.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Legally not a chance, morally very questionable.
    Anna probably doesn’t have design rights on a top with stars on and certainly not copyright. Would be a different case if they had used her logo.

http://www.out-law.com/page-7088

sweepy
    Free Member

Speaking as a lady who buys the odd ladies top, I’d say that the differently sized stars are an AnaNichoola design style. Much classier than the examples of stars above (without wishing to cast nasturtiums on boys’ taste).

I saw a girl with differently sized stars on her face. I dont think it was anything to do with Ananichoola, or with being classy.

aracer
    Free Member

Well if the sizing and spacing of the stars is the unique design feature, then the dhb one isn’t a rip off of that at all (far more boring looking). There might well be some “inspiration” there, but then since those tops were already on sale, Wiggle wouldn’t have needed to contact her at all in order to get their inspiration.

It’s also a bit confusing as Anna doesn’t appear to have any connection with AnaNichoola any more anyway
    http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/anna-glowinski-quits-ananichoola/016316

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What a bunch of ****s
    That’s a blatent rip off.

pk13

It’s looks like they took both tops to a cheap supplier and said make us one like this but not like this …wink wink…
    But to be in talks with the original designer a little while before stinks a bit

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Stars and Stripes have been done before. The only unique thing I can see is the cutaway colar on one of the tops.

ninfan
    Free Member

It does seem she’s been using that spaced out different sized stars for a good while, enough for it to become characteristic of her designs.

I would really hope that the fact they had recently been and met with her and discussed licencing her designs strengthened her case a lot!

captain-slow
    Free Member

18months ago @wiggle bike shop came to my design studio/office and we spent a couple of hours looking at my designs with a view to buy. A year later we talked about a collaboration. The talks went quiet and they brought out their own version. Angry? Yes! Heartbroken? More than I knew was possible! Powerful? Nope

Don’t know what happened here, but if you sell ideas (as I do as a management consultant) then you don’t tell customers what the ideas are until they have committed to paying for them. Or if you do then you accept the risk that you may not get paid.

Doesn’t clothing design work like this?

rOcKeTdOg

I thought Glowinski had walked away from nichoola to do other things?

Edit: just read aracers post, so either she’s whingeing because she walked & now misses the money or she’s secretly still involved, either way there’s something fishy going on

scotroutes

She has, but the conversation she had with Wiggle was 18 months ago, i.e. before they launched their new range and before she left ananichoola so it was about her designs.

I’m a bit on the fence on this one. I can definitely see the influence of her designs in the DHB range but you only have to look around at the outdoor market in general and you’ll see that colours and styles have a habit of “developing” simultaneously across brands. For instance, three years ago, lime green wasn’t a massively popular colour. In 2014 it’s everywhere – on clothing, bikes, shoes, even phones. I believe orange (mostly with black) is making a claim on 2015.

bencooper
    Free Member

Trouble with fashion is it’s all surface. All you need to copy a design is a picture of it – there’s no manufacturing techniques or hidden technology the way there is if you try to copy an iPhone or bicycle. So it’s very, very easy to copy existing designs – which is why catwalk ideas appear on the high street a few months later.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well, this doesn’t look good for Wiggle. Very cheeky indeed.

Edit: just read aracers post, so either she’s whingeing because she walked & now misses the money or she’s secretly still involved, either way there’s something fishy going on

Perhaps she was approached as an independent designer Sherlock?

Don’t know what happened here, but if you sell ideas (as I do as a management consultant) then you don’t tell customers what the ideas are until they have committed to paying for them. Or if you do then you accept the risk that you may not get paid.

Good point, any artists or designers reading this better go and burn their portfolios quick!

unknown
    Free Member

I’m struggling to see anything to get upset about here. One bike top looks much the same as any other, and this one has stars on it, which are hardly unique or original. If anything the dhb one looks like it’s inspired by the american flag to me.

muddy@rseguy

Kind of struggling to see the design rip off unless it’s the fact that there are stars on both Jerseys which is not even a pattern feature that is unique to those two.

Wiggle one has a geometric pattern, the Ana Nicoola one has a random pattern. Colours are different too.

Add in the lower horizontal stripes and day glow piping ( which seems to be DHBs new signature style) and there is more than enough difference to show no plagiarism occurred.

You might be able possibly to prove influence (which isn’t illegal…in fact all designers do this) but plagiarism or copying is a completely different thing and this is certainly not a case of copying.

rOcKeTdOg

Well, this doesn’t look good for Wiggle. Very cheeky indeed.

Perhaps she was approached as an independent designer Sherlock?

an independent designer for a design she already claims to have designed? 😕

iain1775
    Free Member

Stick my Moobs in either of them and the stars are going to change shape, and neither would fit over my belly so I definitely see some conspiracy going on here…. against me

Looks a bit of a non-story to me.
    So, if a “designer” comes up with the idea of a jersey with stars on it, which let’s face it, any five year old could have thought of, then no other jersey manufacturer is ever allowed to sell a jersey with stars on it.
    Is that how it works?

kimbers

Does seem like they’ve been a bit underhand about it all but that’s the bike biz I guess, just look at superstar

maccruiskeen

Kind of struggling to see the design rip off unless it’s the fact that there are stars on both Jerseys which is not even a pattern feature that is unique to those two.

If she was talking to Wiggle about a new project then that would involve a new design for wiggle with her design ideas in in and her name on it. Of course the two tops pictured have differences because one is an existing product and another is a new one produced by Wiggle. The question is not how similar the two tops are but how similar the new top is to the one that was being discussed.

That said I doubt theres anything more valuable that can be done other than call shenanigans on the whole thing. What persists is people who are capable of having ideas remain capable of having ideas and people who are disappointments remain disappointments.

scotjohn
    Free Member

I had something similar happen to me when I was an engineering student. I had discussions with a major outdoor equipment supplier about setting up some working relationship with the uni whereby they could provide ideas/support for student projects and they could then use the university lab facilities for testing. All was good, I was to create a product design for my final year project, they wholeheartedly agreed to get a prototype manufactured and sent to me to test in the uni facilities, and would work through iterations to get the final design right. The whole thing was seen as an introductory step in establishing a working relationship between the uni and the company with the greater goal for them of getting to use expensive facilities and brain power for free. Also, as a bit of an apprenticeship for myself with the aim of a job at the end of it.
    I sent them my design to get the prototype made and then…nothing. I couldn’t get hold of them, they didn’t reply to messages left. My department were on my back to just change the scope of my project as time was running out to do all the testing I’d planned and in the end I had to make do with what I had which was enough to pass. I graduated and moved on with life.
    About a year later I’m in a friend’s house and meet his new flatmate for the first time. I ask what he does – he tells me he’s a product designer…for the company in question! The bloody job I’d been working towards! I tell him my story and he goes a bit pale. He tells me his boss (the guy I’d been dealing with), had given him some designs (my designs!) to tweak so they could be put into production, which he’d just completed and the product was due to be launched imminently. He apologised profusely and offered to get me some of the finished product but as he was fairly new to the company he didn’t want to cause too much of a stir. I was young, perhaps naive, and didn’t take it any further. I’m not sure what else I could have done – they’d tweaked the design sufficiently that I couldn’t prove that it was based on my original idea and not an amalgamation of many others. The product is still on the market to this day and has had quite a few good reviews so that warms my cockles and I think they’ve recently launched a more expensive, lighter, performance version closer to my original design so it will be interesting to see how it goes…

teethgrinder

Name names!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Storm in a tea cup. They both have stars on. Neither has a copyright on stars. Next!

I once had a girlfriend doing a product design course. I gave her the idea of a top from a cycling bottle on a normal bottle of water and marketing it as “sporty”. So, does that mean every soft drinks manufacturer in the world ripped me off?

hora
    Free Member

First wiggle has customers card’s/accounts emptied. Not one off either.

Its too much of a councidence designwise. What else did AG show them that could pop up next?

Sorry Im out wiggle. I’d rather deal with merlin, winstanley or bike-discount.

Ive only met AG once- bout 10yrs ago mind, lovely girl and her brothers a good bloke too.

Binners will tell you about presenting ideas and then seeing them pinched – taken to somewhere else to be produced.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘Any design lawyers on the forum? AnaNichoola & Wiggle top uncanny similarities.’ is closed to new replies.