Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Any Derby locals about – quick snow question?
  • s
    Free Member

How bad is the snow/roads with you at the moment?

Looking to drive up a competion my little one is entering in Derby.

My car is not the best in snow either (Golf estate) 😉

ta

Blackhound

I live just off a main road into Derby and there is loads of snow on it. Snowed all day yesterday, not heavy, but just kept coming. Not sure about the main roads though so probably of little help. Looking out the door towards the main road it does seem quiet up there….

s
    Free Member

cheers BH, I had heard from another parent that Derby had had 14′? 😯

Hence the post..

StuF

M1 J25 / A52 were fine around Notts this morning – its the little roads that are the problem

wrightyson
    Free Member

We’re out in Belper! No chance on the road outside our house!! We need to get to allestree to pick our kids up! We’re gonna have to walk to get the bus me thinks!!

Crell
    Free Member

14 inches near Ashbourne and still snowing, drifting 3-4 ft on the hills around the village. I’d stay at home!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Just spoke to a company based north of Derby, and they said they had 18 inches outside the front door.

Blackhound

I live about a 5 minute walk from the city centre and we have had six inches in my bike yard (just measured it) and it is snowing again…

swoosh
    Free Member

some measurements people give you will be one of 2 things:
    1-off the top of their head and usually an exageration
    2-against a wall or something where snow has drifted and piled up.

On london road in derby (old A6) i’m looking at now there is no snow on the road at all and about 4-6inches in the middle of the field. The roads on the business park are a bit iffy tho but fine if you’re sensible about your revs etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m just west of junction 26 of the M1 and I didn’t go into Nottingham for work today. Seems better to the east but not so great to the west.

Blackhound

Can agree with swoosh as walked up to main road earlier and it is clear. My 6 inches was measured in centre of back yard where there was no drifting.

(Until 8 weeks ago I was working on London Road…)

swoosh
    Free Member

(Until 8 weeks ago I was working on London Road…)

It hasn’t changed much!

Where did you work?

Blackhound

Network Rail in the rtc building. And yourself?

iain1775
    Free Member

whereabouts in Derby, do you know postcode / road I may be able to tell you best route to take?
    North of the city – Belper and upwards is bad, bad around M1 J26 and north of there, Mansfield looks like it got 12″
    Derby itself was bad yesterday evening rush hour due to no gritting on any roads but was clear on main roads and bus routes this morning – they gritted at 8pm and 4am apparently acording to local paper – I actually got into work quicker this morning by taking a nearly deserted ring road
    City centre had 5-6″ yesterday, its still snowing now but intermitantly, sky does look full of it though

swoosh
    Free Member

rtc as well. But not for Network Rail, for Abacus Design, structural engineers.

There seems to be plenty of bikers here so i thought it would only be a matter of time before i bumped into someone on here that works/worked at rtc too.

Blackhound

Markenduro works at rtc and there are a few others. We got an office s/s team at SiTS a few years ago and did OK.

Some nice bikes in the shed from time to time.

markenduro
    Free Member

Waves.
    Snow not looking good here in Burton, it is now hammering it down again.
    Tried to get to work this morning but gave up, my car is crap in the snow and didn’t feel up to riding in, had a work at home day.

Blackhound

WFH! Time to waste on here I see instead on knuckling down…..

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m working (or not) on a site in Heanor. didn’t even try today after`taking 1 1/2hr to get home last night. hope it’s a bit better tomorrow, not looking likely though. Looks like I’ll be looking for jobs around the house again tomorrow.

takisawa2

Few miles south of Burton here, in Lichfield. There’s probably about 1″ of snow. Roads are all clear. Wife is in B’ham & said theres little more than dusting over there.
    Some amazing exagerations at the moment I fear.
    🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I doubt you’d say that if you saw the snow in Derby last night, was pretty bad and very localised. hardly any in Leicester either.

swoosh
    Free Member

Boss went to stafford today, said it was much better over that way than here in derby and i’d say there was less in Nottingham than in Derby so it all depends on where you are

iain1775
    Free Member

I doubt you’d say that if you saw the snow in Derby last night, was pretty bad and very localised.

Yes it was the worst Ive seen in Derby since I moved here in 1994 but it was hardly bad compared to North East England, Scotland etc
    5-6″ overnight, just unfortunate most of that fell in a short period before / during evening rush hour
    Was worse at my home in Littleover area than work (Raynesway)

Megatron

I commute into Nottingham from about 15 miles out.. busses are fun!
    Last night, they left me about 7 miles away from home, as the main road was full of black ice and abandoned cars. I got someone to drive out and pick me up. The only way to get anywhere near home was by the back roads, as they still had some snow on!
    7″ of snow here, measured and not against a wall

the-muffin-man

Abosolute ****-ton of snow in Ambergate! Worst I’ve seen in years, well over a foot in our garden.

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve been sent this pic from Ian Davis of DVATC, somewhere around Ambergate, 4pm this afternoon:
    http://www.darkroom.plus.com/images/ambergate.jpg

Crell
    Free Member

Taken early this morning, and I’d cleared the drive on Sunday. 15″ on top of the cars, no walls or drifts involved.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Any Derby locals about – quick snow question?’ is closed to new replies.