Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Derby (ish) residents?
  • bearnecessities

Looking for somewhere nice / picturesque typeathing for a bite to eat and a bit of a stroll (like nice gardens/park/riverside etc).

Any gem suggestions (tonight, so not too Friday rowdy 🙂 )

Ta.

danti

Allestree Park would be good for a walk as it has a lake as well as woods and golf course you can walk around or slightly further north is Belper with the riverside gardens and Mill to see.

Holly bush pub at Makeney if you like real ales and does a reasonable meal without breaking the bank.

yiman
    Free Member

Elvaston Castle
    Caulke Abbey

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For food options for Caulke Abby the Wheel pub in Tutbury is very good, and for Elvaston Castle the Harrington Arms at Thulston.

Melbourne is also worth a looksee if you can get out that way – nice large pond to saunter around and a few good eateries and pubs too, though not necessarily your cheapest option.

There are easy and convenient bus routes to all those places from Derby.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

As others have said Calke Abbey then the Staff Of Life Pub for a scoff.

dc2.0

I think wobbliscot meant the Wheel in Ticknall. Tutbury is a bit far (good micropub there though

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You’re right DC. I’m always getting those two names mixed up! Sign of getting old. I get my hair cut in Tutbury.

iain1775
    Free Member

South of Derby –
    Calke Abbey – The Wheel or Staff of Life in Ticknall
    Bulls Head or Boot Inn at Repton
    Walk along canal and across fields etc at Willington – Dragon Inn
    Hermits Cave walk along River Trent – John Thomson at Ingleby
    Melbourne Hall & millpond walks – Hardinge Arms or Harpurs

North Derby –
    Allestree Park or Kedleston Hall – Joiners Arms Quardon (same chain as Bulls Head)
    Dale Abbey / Locko Park – Hollies Farm shop and cafe

East Derby –
    Elvaston Park – Harrington Arms
    River Trent, T&M Canal – Trent Lock Inn or The White House at Sawley

Centre of Derby isn’t great but could stroll along river from Pride Park to Darley Park and cll in at several pubs en route Brewery tap or Exeter Arms would be my choices, both north side of river

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Derby (ish) residents?’ is closed to new replies.