Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any dentists or doctors about?
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I’m wondering whether to bother my GP, so any advice muchly appreciated:

I got raging toothache a week ago in a molar with an old filling so the dentist gave me amoxicillin and booked me in for root canal work for sometime in April. I finished the antibiotics and the pain has reduced but not gone away, and I now have earache on that side, a headache, and sore throat on that side. I rang the dentist to ask if he thought maybe the infection hadn’t cleared, or had maybe spread and the message passed back from the receptionist was “the dentist says it won’t be anything to do with your tooth, bye”.
    Should I man up for a couple of weeks and wait for my root canal treatment or ask my GP for an opinion? I feel quite run down but not so ill as to be lying in bed.

cinnamon_girl

I would have thought that you need to see a dentist, possibly a new one. You have my sympathy, it sounds downright miserable.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just go see your GP. They’ll have a look in your ears, make you cough, and deal out the appropriate verdict.

…or you could ask Dr Google, and find out you have lupus/cancer/ms/ALS etc.

natrix
    Free Member

Sounds like cat aids to me……………

project
    Free Member

Necrotizing Mediastinitis,, also a dentist in chesters cusomer died after haveing a tooth out

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/upton-man-died-septic-shock-8838442

northernmatt

Alternate paracetamol with ibuprofen, 2hr gaps between each so you keep the 4hr gaps between each drug. That should help with the pain. Then get a new dentist and see if they can fit you in sooner.

vickypea
    Free Member

Thanks cinnamon girl and northern Matt, the rest of you can sod off!

nickc

Go to A&E, today please.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Thanks cinnamon girl and northern Matt, the rest of you can sod off!

Hang on.

Your dentist says he doesn’t think it’s dental related, so you thank the 2 people who suggest getting a new dentist, and tell someone who suggests going to see your GP to sod off.

Nice.

backinireland
    Free Member

Any of the above a gp or dentist?

Without examining you I couldn’t rule out the tooth causing the pain…..

docrobster
    Free Member

As a GP I’d say it sounds like you may need to see a GP for this. You haven’t said when the new symptoms started though so wait and see is also an option. Quite likely to be viral and self limiting.
    Sore throats aren’t usually caused by dental problems.

vickypea
    Free Member

Sorry bongohooha- I honestly thought you were being sarcastic from the way you wrote your suggestion.
    Please accept my apologies.
    The dentist said he didn’t think it was related to my tooth on the basis of a phone message via the receptionist. Since my tooth ache has persisted for a week and is only slightly less painful but I can feel the pain radiating from under my jaw where the tooth is and into my neck or ear, it seemed likely to be referred pain from the tooth or an irritated nerve or something.

PePPeR

Chew the paracetamol, tastes like shit but numbs the pain locally, I may not be a doctor and may not be qualified, but it got me through two weeks of incredible tooth pain whilst working in Belgium in the summer!

frogstomp

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago.. booked in for root canal next month too, but in the meantime they drilled out the offending tooth/filling and put a temporary filling (dressing?) on top which has relieved the pain. Maybe you could ask if they could do something similar?

infidel
    Free Member

GP. No question. You need to rule out a spreading infection.

COI. Consultant Head and neck Radiologist

backinireland
    Free Member

Dentist qualified to deal with spreading infection, tooth may require extraction or start of root canal treatment, gp would only be able to offer another antibiotic.

Don’t chew paracetamol and definitely don’t chew or place aspirin beside it.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’m wondering whether to bother my GP

This is what GPs are for – you’re confusing it with when you know what’s wrong and where to buy paracetamol but you go to the doctor anyway, which is a waste of everybody’s time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any dentists or doctors about?’ is closed to new replies.