Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any Decorators In The House?? Help Needed!!
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Embarking on a project to remove wallpaper and restore wall to a nice clean/smooth finish in order to paint with emulsion.

Paper is off butbi need to get rid of the paste residue or some I’m told, I have been advised to remove it with a sponge and sugar soap water…its going to take me forever to do this and even then I’m not confident it will all be gone…are there any quicker, easier solutions I should be trying?

I read online to prime with an oil based paint, when I asked at Wicked and B&Q they told me I was stupid!

Cheers

duncancallum

No in a word. it’s all in the prep.

I’d get the walls cleaned and then use a thin emulsion mix to prime them.

Get used to having to do loads of spot filling too….

chorlton
    Free Member

Just give the walls a clean and filling and sanding then paint with a thin first coat of emulsion. If any stains start showing after it’s dried just go over that bit with some stain block or oil primer/undercoat.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teef
    Free Member

You’ll never get rid of the wallpaper glue completely – every time you use a water based paint it’ll get sticky again. You could try an oil based primer but I’d put up lining paper and paint that.

nwill1
    Free Member

Thankyou by thin emulsion mix do you mean watered down?

Also stain block…could you kindly link to the type of thing you’d use (wickes or B&Q).

I did think it was clean so filled last might and sanded this morning was very proud of my lovely wall until I usedca damp cloth to wipe it down then this paste seemedcto come from no where, sugar soap has washed the filler away!

nwill1
    Free Member

Reef what oil based paint? Its a buy to let, if I can get the walls good now will make future maintenance easier, lining paper is probably a bit more work in the long run, I’d like tovtry and getvit right now.

twang
    Free Member

Painting on old paste causes the paint surface to eventually split and will continue to split every time it’s painted, it may or may not be noticable depending on how well you wash it down. So if you’re a gambling man or not too fussy get walloping – otherwise line it 🙂

leffeboy

Lining has the advantage of not showing bashes in the wall so much either if it is buy to let

nwill1
    Free Member

I’m kind of working on when tenants change over if they mess up the wall filler, sand, paint…like new!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any Decorators In The House?? Help Needed!!’ is closed to new replies.