Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any decent pubs near Tower Hill?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Heading off to that there London.

Be going for a drink near Tower Hill, any decent pub recommendations or are they just the same City type places?

My experience of pubs in The City are they ll seem to be very similar, overcrowded and poor beer.

Any hidden gems?

Don’t want to travel, just a few minutes walking.

simon_g

Hung Drawn & Quartered is a decent Fullers pub near there, where Lower Thames St and Great Tower St meet.

Everywhere is crowded at peak times though.

allthegear
    Free Member

Half a mile to Wilton’s Music Hall. Wonderful place.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ypn57RmYDTS2

Rachel

captmorgan
    Free Member

Yep Wilton’s is worth a shot

jimdubleyou

I work just round the corner – they are all City pubs :), and it’s Christmas so they will all be busy.

Well kept ale can usually be found in:
    The Crutched Friar
    The Chamberlain
    The Cheshire Cheese (but it’s a proper dive otherwise)

I have never been to Wilton’s but will put it on the list.

mike_p
    Free Member

Also…

Princess of Prussia, Prescott St – short walk away

The Dickens Inn in St Katherine docks for something a bit different?

The Ship, Talbot Ct – tiny and old school

Walrus & Carpenter, Lower Thames St – old school boozer

brakes
    Free Member

I’d go for the Crutched Friars – good ales, big, good food. Don’t be in a hurry for food though.

Hung Drawn & Quartered has just been done up and is better and there’s more room to eat/ better menu but they’ve sacrificed standing room which isn’t great now – it often spills outside which is no bad thing.

Walrus & Carpenter is good, good selection of ales, does good pub grub and has tables upstairs. Also spills outside when its busy.

Dicken’s Inn is good if you want pizza in a bin lid and a nice yachty backdrop.

The Ship is a proper City boy boozer – quirky and smelly with good booze. In fact there’s two of them – Hart St and Talbot St – both very similar with Hart St being quirkier.

There’s a Wetherspoons called Liberty Bounds which is like any other ‘spoons.

There are some near Monument tube which aren’t great – more bars than pubs.

These are all West of Tower Hill – I don’t know what’s North East up towards Aldgate/ Minories (apart from Minories which isn’t great).

Don’t be surprised to pay £4-5 for a pint unless you go to Wetherspoons.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any decent pubs near Tower Hill?’ is closed to new replies.