Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any decent natural trails near……?
  • supafly1982
    Free Member

Hi Guys, im looking for some nice natural trails within 1hr drive from where i live (stranraer) ive done the Southern upland way to portpatrick a few times and then the other coastal path on the south side of the port. Its very boggy even in summer.

Ive done the Glenapp coastal path, the Ayr coastal path and the old drovers road from laggan fatter to ballantrae although looking accross at the hills theres bound to be more in that area! from stranraer these are anything from 20-50 mile loops with losts of road, tracks and little in reward with singletrack.

Ive also explored most of the local woods and beyond doing more SUW up to the quarry and forrest at New Luce, again very little sigletrack.

Theres nothing that flows too well, when you do get a good bit it either runs out too early or theres fence after fence. It would be great to get on singletrack, get on the bike and be able to bike a good distance, i know thats a big ask but theres bound to be plenty bits ive not been.

If you know of any thats reasonable to get to time/distance wise (as i only get one day off a week) then i would appreciate your advice

cheers
    scott

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ha ha! Talked you into leaving the trail centres have I? I hope your a donator on this site! 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have you ridden the old Edinburgh road out from kirro up toward clatteringshaws? Probably been about ten years since I did it last, but was pretty good. There is bound to be some trails in and around clatteringshaws. Loch doon more than an hour from you? Not sure.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    supafly1982
    Free Member

Aye it did make me think lol, theres only so many off piste trails that can be made in a centre 😉

cheers for that, will have to take a wee look at some OS maps

gusamc
    Free Member

gf and I have lapped Clatteringshaws (tramac and forestry trail ) and want to do Claterringshaws-Glen Trool off road, see also forest drives on OS Map as they will probably be good even in this weather

anyay found this – which way or may not help

http://www.mtbroutessws.com/mbkeymap2.html

supafly1982
    Free Member

Hi gusamc, thanks very much for the link, pretty much confirms that theres not that much for biking in my corner but it does show a few places fairly close i can go and try, so much appreciated, cheers 🙂

dryroasted
    Free Member

Have you done the cairnsmore of fleet, i did it a few weeks back when it was really cold, only a few gates and all rideable

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Scott… you need to get into the woods and explore. Its amazing what you can actually create if you spend a few days with a wee folding pruning saw and shovel. Hills north out by cairnryan look ripe for finding trails and there must be potential for some mega descents up there too. EVERYWHERE has been boggy this season it’s not just you. If you’re up Glasgow way sometime give me a shout

supafly1982
    Free Member

Hi Dryroasted, we had planned to do cairnsmore of fleet and the merrick in a few months time, but if its not too bad just now we might go sooner rather than later, the lad im going with has done them a few times so i’ll be in good hands (hopefully lol)

Hi Dan, ive spent many’s a day exploring them hills. alot of it is shooting ground and Stair estates isnt too keen on trails been built but clearing deer paths and all isnt really a problem, its more finding the time to make trails, better with a few pair of hands. Very boggy up that area too but plenty fun to be had.

I was up Dupin hill tonight, couple mile climb, twintrack, very wet and muddy, then onto sodden wet fields, back to track which was pretty eroded and muddy so no great speed on the decend, was like biking over rather large stones and strips of mud, gets you out and wasnt too bad to decend but couldnt get the speed up with all the mud in the eyes lol. crossed the A77 over to Penderry hill area, quite a good wee decend there to be had but its in need of pruning, might take the folding saw nxt time 😉

Been talking about doing the Barrhill run tomorrow, will have to see

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any decent natural trails near……?’ is closed to new replies.