• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any Cube Ltd Race Hardtail owners, views please….
  • rickmeister

Evening all… just looking at this bike for an alternative to a full suss… Obviously the bike shop were keen on it.. Any real world points of view, good or bad. Not much in the way of opinions on the tinternet. Looked like a well specced bit of kit…

Thanks

Rick

monksie
    Free Member

I have a 2009 version. I love it but I think they're about to become the new Mondeo of the bike world.
    Mine was £899 with full SLx drivechain apart from XT shadow rear mech. Formula K18 brakes and EA30 bar, stem and seatpost. Nobby Nic Front and Racing Ralph rear tyres. Reba Team fork with lock off. Nice Sun Ringle wheels. It was a bargain. I got it just before the price hike and spec. downgrade.
    I'm 5'9" and normally ride 17" mountain bikes but this is an 18" frame and I've fitted a longer (110mm) stem. It is 'just' a nice fit now but I sometimes think I could do with another 10mm on the stem.
    The bike itself is superb. I ride it weekly in the Peak District and I took it touring round NZ (South Island) along with loads of trail centres in the UK.
    I recommend it very highly.
    The only negatives are it's a bit porky for a bike with "Race" in the title and as above, they seem to be becoming the defualt Cycle to Work bike choice.

ratherbeintobago

I have a 2009 version. I love it but I think they're about to become the new Mondeo of the bike world.

Not a Trek though, so how could it possibly become the new Mondeo of the bike world?

Andy

Spud

I also have a 2009. 16" I think. And it's great. I did 9 laps of SITS solo on it last yr and the rest on my FS. It's well specced although I have lightened it some more with bars/ stem/ seatpost/ wheels.

rickmeister

Thanks folks,

Monksie, CTW time, spot on…..!

Spud, I tried a 16" today, didnt feel too cramped for me at 5'8"…. how tall are you? Tried an 18" frame Attention but didnt like the shorter top tube…

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

It's a popular bike in Stoke,fast,well-specced and good value. Great bikes.

Spud

I'm 5'7 and it's spot on for me. I tend to run a lot of post (well it looks like it to me) on my bikes but standover is good. I changed the stem to one with 10 degree rise and it fits lovely. Felt great round Sherwood Pines today!

monksie
    Free Member

Rickmeister – if you're anywhere near me (Peak'ish), you're more than welcome to try it out for size.
    If you do, can I come riding with you? I loaned my tandem out last year and the borrower has failed to return it.
    I'm riding it up to and around Glentress and the like next month if you're up that way?
    I have a 410mm seatpost and it's almost at its limit as well.

Spud

Found I needed a 410mm post too.

stylish
    Free Member

as above with the 2009 model, good spec and nice to ride, i went for a 20 inch frame as i am 6 foot, and its great to ride, a bit on the heavy side, but nothing a set of wheels and a few bits cant cure. the build quality seems to be vary good across the range, and more and more cube bikes seem to be around now.

rickmeister

Monksie, Spud, thanks for this…

I am in Edinburgh so shout me if your up at GT, always good to meet forum folk…. thanks for the offer of a spin. Today, post full height was just too much on a 16" frame. Think I am between sizes…. 16" and longer stem, 18" and shorter. Better test ride Tuesday.

monksie
    Free Member

I will Rickmeister. I have 10 days off to ride up and around and then get the train home and I love Glentress.
    If they still come with EA30 stuff, I think the seatpost is 350mm isn't it? You might find a 410mm post on the 16" fits the bike nicely for you but as above, mine fits me with a 410mm post, 110mm stem and low risers but only just. I'm going to see how a wide flat bar makes it feel.

markd
    Free Member

Hi Rick

I reckon on reflection that the 18" with a stem change will be the one to look at.

If it turns out you don't like the choice you make in 28days we will change sizes it for you. Sound fair?

Have a good evening btw

MD (thebikechain)

ojom
    Free Member

^wot i said… formally 😀

jojoA1
    Free Member

I love my 2009 one. Bought from the delicious Bike Chain. 🙂 I swapped the racey Reba forks for Revelations and slackened it out to make a more all round hardtail. It's a fun ride, really lively and accelerates like snot off a stick.

rickmeister

Mark, thanks. Sounds like a sale to me. there really is nowhere to hide on here!

Thanks for your help today…

Rick

golfcurry
    Free Member

i've had a cube for the past year and i love it, changed the wheels to xtr amd cassette to xt and it really does make a huge difference to the bike, it truly reflects the title of team race, lightning the bike to just under 25 pounds.
    i'm 5'8 and have the 18'' changed the stem to 100mm and 10 degrees rise.

Spud

I think I could have got away with the 18" but all my other bikes are 15-16" so seemed sensible to go with that again. I'm running mine with a 410mm post, 10 degree rise stem and 600mm flat bars.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any Cube Ltd Race Hardtail owners, views please….’ is closed to new replies.