Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Any Crohns/Colitis ileostomy riders
  • hainman
    Free Member

Had my Ostomy for a few years now and don’t have a lot of the issues I had at the beginning

Mostly wondering if any of you do gym sessions,training methods due to the stomach surgery and chance of hernias?

I sometimes get a bit uncomfortable with the longer days due to the seating bent over position but not to the degree it gets sore,Also do any of you wear any form of guard for protection

I’m fine with eating most food now but still not able to eat/digest nuts so need to be wary on stuff I carry for quick munch trail side

All in though I’m still loving Biking which keeps me fit and healthy and give me a buzz every time

andyecc
    Free Member

Not had an ostomy but have had multiple surgeries thanks to my Crohn’s. Previous surgeons have advised against doing any gym / weights workouts because of the risks of hernia through surgical scars.
    I’m currently off the bike having had more problems recently but now feeling much better and should be riding again soon.
    I do really worry that one of these days they will end up recommending a further resection and stoma (hopefully only temporary). Fingers crossed it won’t come to that but I’ve been terrified of it affecting biking and other activities.
    I appreciate this post maybe doesn’t help much but your description of still biking and loving it has been really helpful – thanks!

stuc
    Free Member

Sorry mate can’t help directly but following with interest as currently on Humira with mixed results so may end up somewhere down this path.

Knowing this disease well (colitis for me) I’m glad you’re still loving the biking.

hainman
    Free Member

@andyeec
    I was on every Med the had and the only thing that kept me together was Pred steroids (bastard dry)
    Ended up with osteoporosis due to constant use
    Had several breaks due to crashes and started to panic thinking the brittle bones were really bad,had another density test last month and was told it had actually got better and was pretty minimal so happy at that
    As for the ostomy/bag it was actually the best thing I done,no more going out on 3-4 hour rides and not eating due to “the call of nature”
    Now I eat what I want outwith nuts,can go out anywhere and not worry
    As for the Gym I was kinda thinking that any exercise around the gut would result in injury due to surgery and weakened stomach muscles
    All I can say is stoma isn’t the end of the world,far from it but it’s a lot to take

hainman
    Free Member

Hey Stuc I done Humira and responded well for a while but always ended up back on the steroids which were the Devil
    Off for my second trip to BPW next month,biking has definitely seen me through the bad times and helped in recovery from surgery due to being fitter than I was after 1st op,

Kit
    Free Member

Crohn’s here, but no surgery. I have inflamed perianal skin which has historically stopped me from riding. That and not being sure about being any significant distance from a loo, as well as the tiredness. I’m sure that’s all familiar to you guys! I only managed one ride last year, and I see this year being similar. Mostly just lost the mojo, not sure I’ll get it back again. Am very grateful though to not have had major surgery (only for a fistula) so otherwise I’m in relatively good nick!

stuc
    Free Member

Thanks Hainman. Just started fortnightly injections and felt great after first two loading doses but now having just dropped down to 40mg for third injection symptoms seem to have crept up a little. Early days though.

I reckon we’d all probably agree the biking/exercise helps with things.

hainman
    Free Member

Hey Kit,ye I had a lot of anxiety when I went out but I just thought “**** it” I was out in the open so always a tree or a bush to huck behind haha
    I would go out not eating and then truffle towards the end of the day
    Ye surgery is tough,I’ve been opened up twice but always bounced back,Not everyone is lucky that way though

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Gym sessions for me, but I’m a bit selective as to what I do. Mainly free weights, but I avoid using a flat bench as I don’t like being stretched out that way. Also, I avoid going past 90% of what I think is 1xMax. Some exercises such as bicep curls I stay nearer 50%. If you want to try any sort of gym work my advice would be to start very very safe and sort out your technique first then steadily increase whatever exercise you do. I avoid all work that involves curling up (e.g. rowing machines) as my bag doesn’t like it and tends to jump ship – yuk! When I’m out and about I always make sure that the bag is well loaded with gelling agents as it is an illeostomy and can be very liquid. Only discovered mountain biking after my operation, loving it (the biking that is).

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, I also do a bit of gym work on a bike (shock there eh!) almost always as a HIT (HIIT) session. Very hard work, but quick and amazingly effective.

hainman
    Free Member

What is HIT session??sounds like it could be good to build up fitness,also thought about spin classes but am to lazy to drag mys of out once I get home after work
    I’ve and ileo too,constant wee bugger
    I’ve found Coloplast extender tape which is a godsend,no more bag poping off

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

High Intensity Interval Training. Don’t do it unless you are reasonably fit to start with and don’t have a heart problem. There are lots of variations, I do quite an easy one loosely following research at Abertay Uni. Short warm up then 5 continuous repetitions of “6 seconds flat out with maximum load + 24 seconds gentle”. I usually do a few weights before and after. If I’m feeling ambitious (I often am that daft) I will do that session twice with weights in between. I would be fit if I could resist m’lady’s cooking.

Coloplast extender tape works for me too, but I use it for longer trips only as my skin breaks up if I use it regularly.

greencat
    Free Member

Have Crohn’s too. No surgery and generally mild on the whole. The main thing is to pace myself during the bad periods. I’ll skip the crunches if I’m not feeling great. Tiredness is often the worst.

allthepies
    Free Member

Used to have colitis but it burned itself out after a few years luckily.

hainman
    Free Member

Where I struggle with fitness is on steep techy trails when my legs ache and my core gets sore,

I can generally climb well and have quite and active job which helps I think constantly up and down stairs carrying some heavy weight

I do like the idea of porridge etc before rides but it either runs right through or turns to cement in my gut and been told I can’t eat a lot of fruits esp Bananas which I might try and add in to my diet slowly

Jam and peanut butter does a good job as long as it’s smooth and not crunchy stuff

Dansk1

Crohn’s, no surgery yet, azathioprine + humira (because I’m worth it), low residue combo. Watching and bookmarking for future interest.

So far I’ve found the exhaustion can be partially controlled with iron top ups, at least when your gut can take it.

Even so, flare up = no bike for a week or so.

Ballsed up inflammatory response also seems to mean bruising / pedal bites stick around longer.

andyjh

Another Crohny here 🙂 No surgery yet and been living with it as a mild case for about 20 years. So far avoided drugs but when I was properly diagnosed about a year ago the consultant immediately wanted me on but I refused as my normal daily life isn’t too bad currently. Most of my symptoms are tireless and irritable bowel and I have dairy tolerance issues. Been on Soya milk for years now so I’m back on cereal and I can drink a glass post workout.

My issue is I have a fistula connecting my intestine to my bladder at the point of the Crohns which causes me regular bladder infections and wipes me out for a week or so at a time. This has taken 20 years to diagnose! NHS at its best but once I went private it took one consultant to work it out. Should be a simple op to remove but due to the Crohns the surgeon is reluctant unless he removes the infected intestine at the same time and he will only do this if my Crohns is unbearable. So for now I live with it.

I’m sure cycling has helped my body cope with the disease and infections. I really took it up to get myself fitter to help deal with these issues as at the time I had no sight of a diagnoses. Love it now and get really frustrated when the fatigue kicks in a wipes me out for a period of time.

Interesting point @Dansk1 regarding the inflammatory response as I suffer from slow heal of bruising, especially on my shins! Never really had this confirmed as a symptom of the Crohns but glad someone else has said it.

hainman
    Free Member

@andyjh I suffered with a fistula to the extend I passed small bits of food in my pee and they operated as it was serious enough to warrant it,Plus the bowel was mush,left me with a nice scar from Baws to belly button,sorted now though

andyjh

Interesting Hainman, although mines not as serious as that, when it really kicks in I do pass all sorts including blood. The infection normally gives me a cystitis like symptom plus a burning fever. However, since the first private consultant recognised these were caused by the bladder infection and not the Crohns he gave me some really good advice about avoiding infections plus suggested using D-Mannose, which is a healthy urinary tract supplement. Pretty much changed my life to be honest as although I still get some of the issues, it’s been over a year since I’ve had a full on bladder infection 🙂

stuc
    Free Member

Well a lot of you may be able to find humour in the fact that they’ve chosen today of all days to send me an appointment and prep for a sigmoidoscopy. How to make a guy feel special

hainman
    Free Member

Stuc is it the boggin klean prep??
    I refuse to take that and ask for picolax

stuc
    Free Member

Just the fleet – only sigmoid not the full colonoscopy. The Klean is not nice stuff though when I’ve had to have full colonoscopy. Vile stuff.

chomp
    Free Member

there’s a lot of chronies here – I was struck by it in spring 2001 and by autum I had lost 4 stone and no diagnosis from the NHS. Like an idiot I hadn’t thought to go private (despite having bupa through work) but after being asked if I was a drug addict due to the rapid weight loss and looking so rough I was promptly diagnosed, and operated on within a couple of weeks. Had a resection, and am now 3 or 4ft of intestine lighter. Haven’t had a solid poo for over 15 years but thankfully no bad flare ups (a couple of days in hospital due to fistulas (one which burst while out shopping – thankfully we had just had a baby so I could go into the baby changing room and sort myself out a bit!).

All in all I ride less than I used to – and for much shorter distances as I don’t feel too comfortable being away from a toilet for hours on end – and bushes aren’t really an option when loose!

I always worried about a stoma – however I know a couple of people who have had one for years and I never knew until I was diagnosed with crohns and they let me in on their secret. As has been said the fact that people still are (very) active with them makes me a lot less concerned about what the future holds

fifeandy
    Free Member

All in all I ride less than I used to – and for much shorter distances as I don’t feel too comfortable being away from a toilet for hours on end – and bushes aren’t really an option when loose!

Take up next to no room in saddle bag, jersey pocket or camelbak.
    Sadly supermarkets seem to have stopped stocking the to-go packs, but can take some from the full size packs and take in a ziplock bag.

chomp
    Free Member

it’s not the wipe up that’s the issue – it’s the widespread fallout zone!

(far too much info given – apologies)

hainman
    Free Member

Chomp i can assure you its not the end of the world,far from it in fact,I’m riding more,longer,fitter and can stop off for coffee and scran without the dreaded “wheres the nearest loo”Ive had some malfunctions where I’ve had to whip off some leggings and be thankful they were BLACK

im 4 years now with my Stoma,Ive had my ups and downs mainly due to leaks,but considering what i faced daily without the bag,the leaks are toatie,My biggest concern was sitting on the saddle after having “Ken Butt” but I’m fine with that now,All my riding buddies no about my situation and when i say I’m away for a sh1t they all laugh,then i appear 30 seconds later and they are like WTF,haha

All in all,I’m far better off for it,can go swimming with the kids as well which was a no no,brown poo’l water isn’t allowed no matter what age you are
    oh and aldi do neat packs of wipes,I was away doing my business on my ride on sunday and never realised i was so close to the main path,bloody Dug came shooting out of nowhere and nearly stuck its nose in my Sh1t,didn’t no whether to laugh or greet

fifeandy
    Free Member

far too much info given – apologies

I suspect the folk active in this thread have all been there and done that – no apologies needed.

stuc
    Free Member

Laughing at that chomp. Like a flock of starlings taking off.

chomp
    Free Member

🙂

I consider myself very lucky in that I’ve not had to go on any roids – and my condition is very manageable other than the amount of times I go for a dump and the number of flushes some of them require (I amaze myself sometimes at how bouyant fecal matter can be when it’s at just the right consistency!!). I avoid too much alcohol and coffee (latte or cappuccino and it’s probably 10 minutes at max before it’s through the system) as well as the usual spicy stuff – but do allow myself to ignore my condition every now and then (just have a note of where toilets are, and no plans for the following day).

It’s threads like these, that while not in the sudocat or picolax category do make me realise how good it is to talk about these things, and if they make someone smile or help someone in a simular situation then all the better

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Not a Crohns sufferer but having IBS/FODMAP flare up at present , not helped by shitty work, so have a bum like the Japanese flag at present. The thought of a picolax day……..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Any Crohns/Colitis ileostomy riders’ is closed to new replies.