Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any Contents Insurance Boffins in?
  • CaptainSlow

DW has had the misfortune of a blonde moment. Due to an earlier blonde moment (mine this time) I had to claim off the contents insurance and as such my NCD protection won’t help.

How does one go about working out whether the claim is worth the increased premium? I’ll lose 2 years NCD if I claim.

It’ll only be the second time Ive considered claiming as I usually just suck up the incident.

Claim will be for ~£400. 😳

Thx

jekkyl

Ask the insurance company how much your premium will go up by and compare that to the cost of your loss minus the excess. Are you sure the thing that got broke only cost >£400? *cough*

CaptainSlow

Yes, very sure, I’m not going to tell fibs 🙂

I asked that exact question of the insurance bods (M&S) and they were unable to help and unable to explain how their NCD structure works (i.e. 1 year is x %, 2 years is y % etc).. and they were completely unable (and unwilling) to forecast how it would impact my premium.

bigG
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    Ask the insurance company how much your premium will go up by and compare that to the cost of your loss minus the excess

This, but don’t then go on to consider inflating the loss to make a few quid out of it. Insurance companies take a dim view of this, and you may well struggle to get insurance in future when you declare your last policy was cancelled due to you trying to make a fraudulently inflated claim.

Stealth edit, if they can’t or won’t tell you then some basic maths ought to give you a rough idea (assuming it’s only your NCD you lose and they don’t load up the premium)

jekkyl

yeah, I thought that might be the outcome, nothing you can do then. I’d make the claim, that’s what the insurance is there for after all.

CaptainSlow

agreed. I don’t like using it but there is no point paying the premiums and not using it.

And don’t worry bigG – inflating the loss is not something i’d do

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Make too many claims and you might struggle to get a renewal at all, a friend of mine made three claims in two years and really struggled to find anyone who would take her on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any Contents Insurance Boffins in?’ is closed to new replies.