Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any computer people in?
  • rmacattack
    Free Member

Windows has done a big update and has killed my laptop screen. I’m getting a black screen with lines in my display and nothing more. Any ideas?

rmacattack
    Free Member

Bump

Cougar

How far does it get? Do you get the Windows “loading” splash screen and it’s going black when you would expect to see the login page?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Bump? It was 30 minutes ago, give us a chance man!

somouk
    Free Member

You can also try booting to safe mode incase it has done a driver update that has borked it.

redthunder
    Free Member

F8 on boot. As SomoUk says.

Cougar

That’s where I was going with that. Though getting into Safe Mode can be tricksy with W10.

A quick Google would suggest there’s been an issue with some Nvidia video drivers, removing the driver in safe mode fixes it. I just wanted to check symptoms first.

rmacattack
    Free Member

It seems to be right from the off. It’s definitely at the login screen. I can faintly make out the box. I’ll try safe mode.

rmacattack
    Free Member

How do I go about removing driver if I get into safe mode?

Cougar

Manually powering it off during boot a few times should kick you into the recovery options.

Device manager, display adapters. Right-click the adapter, delete. Make a note of what it is first.

rmacattack
    Free Member

I can’t seem to get safe mode.

Cougar

It seems to be right from the off. It’s definitely at the login screen.

These are different things. Do you get a normal display before the login screen, or is it like that as soon as you power on? Only, if the latter, that’s nothing to do with Windows, it’s a blown inverter board.

rmacattack
    Free Member

Ah your a legend .

rmacattack
    Free Member

I abused the switching on and off. Then on boot up windows started it’s updating and splash screes after install. Would it have been stuck in a state of sleep mode while during update?

Cougar

Who knows, TBH. Keep us posted.

rmacattack
    Free Member

well its still doing it. seems to be a display problem from sleep mode. when i first went into device manager it said everything was ok and updated. so i disabled the drivers and checked for updates and it updated that way. same with the nvidia, had to go to nvidia manually. haven’t tried it out since doing that so will post later if sorted.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any computer people in?’ is closed to new replies.