Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • any computer game remakes you think improve over the original game?
  • racefaceec90

am currently just starting playing tomb raider anniversary,and i must say i am well impressed with it so far.

the original tomb raider ps1 version is one of my all time fav games (my friend and me would literally spend hours just playing the demo before the game was released.just a seminal game imho.

the remake though is bloomin fab.they have changed/added things to the game whilst still keeping all that was great about the original.

any games you think did justice as a remake?

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t think of any remakes, apart from XCOM – Enemy Unknown.

As far as I can tell it’s the same game as the original, but the cut-scene advisors are a bit annoying because they tell you what to do. The reason the original was so good was the mystery of it all. You had no idea what was going on or what to do. It seems to give away a little more of the mystery earlier on.

anagallis_arvensis

Oolite is better than elite

RustySpanner

I always rated Flashback over Another World.

samuri
    Free Member

I really like XCOM. Playing it now actually. They kept the excellent way the turn based movement progresses and added some nice extras.

Can’t think of many game remakes to be honest although it turns out there are loads.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I liked the Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube (although I did miss the terrible, terrible voice acting of the Playstation original).

GeForceJunky

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary really is quite superb, exactly the same game physics and map layouts as the original, but much more modern lighting and textures.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

FFIII remake was pretty good

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Black Mesa, more a facelift than a rebuild

Klunk
    Free Member

still waiting for the Elite remake.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Metal Gear Twin Snakes on the GameCube for me.

winston_dog
    Free Member

No it’s not. If you think it is then you are missing the point. 😀

32kb RAM FFS.

It was a work of genius.

A large Word document takes up more space.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Counter strike source.

Cougar

Other than a similar ‘feel’ they’re wholly unrelated games.

Gribs

X-com is a great remake and the recent Enemy Within DLC makes it even better. Other than that I can’t think of any remake that’s better though there’s plenty of series iterations and sequels.

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator

Other than a similar ‘feel’ they’re wholly unrelated games.

You’re right you know – although in my defence it was a long time ago. 😀

After a quick Google, it would appear I was thinking about Flashback & Fade to Black 🙂
    Always prefered the latter.
    And that was a sequel, not a remake. 😐

Cougar

Really? Wow, are you sure you weren’t right in the first place? F2B was, if memory serves, trousers.

Flashback oft gets lauded as Another World’s sequel, it’s a popular misconception. Veering dangerously back on topic, I was playing the Flashback remake on the Xbox the other day, it’s a great game but properly solid.

In ‘the day’ I completed Another World; barely scratched Flashback.

RustySpanner

I really liked it – I remember it didn’t get wonderful reviews, but I thought it was excellent.
    Not a difficult game by any means, but I enjoyed the story and the gameplay.

It was definitely Fade To Black, ‘cos I remember playing it on the PS.

I don’t think I played Another World.
    Played Flashback though & much prefered FTB.

anagallis_arvensis

still waiting for the Elite remake.

then wait no longer google oolite, download and play

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Can’t think of any decent remakes. However I would like to see Shadowman remade or just available to play again.

IA

A quick google reveals shadowman was re-released on gog.com

Actually quite hard to think of remakes, as opposed to ports or sequels.

E.g. Is syndicate wars a remake or a sequel?

loddrik
    Free Member

Abe’s Exoddus was better than Abe’s Oddysee. Exoddus still my favorite gage of all time.

AlexSimon

Not many games get remade.
    Some get HD updates, like Zelda Wind Waker. That makes it more relevant to now, but at the time the original was fine.

Some of these updates actually lose something – for example I can’t stand the rendered cut-scenes they’ve added to all the SNES-era Final Fantasies. I much preferred my own interpretation of the pixelated characters.

slowjo
    Free Member

Mmmmm Elite. I can remember playing that at work during lunch breaks, then at weekend. Quite phenomenal for the time. I copied a friend’s version, iirc it came on one 5.25″ floppy.

xiphon
    Free Member

Metal Gear Solid has been done very well on the xbox.

And how can anyone forget Half Life Source? Superb remake of their original.

The most recent Tomb Raider is very good – artwork is immense

pondo

Elite was just fantastic – was really excited when I discovered Oolite, but unless I’ve gone crap in my old age (and that certainly can’t be counted out), I found Oolite loads harder than Elite, to the point of CBA.

Stoner
    Free Member

Goldeneye?

weeksy

X-com !!!!

Based upon the UFO-enemy unknown, terror from the deep type games I assume…

Hmmmmm I can see me going shopping 🙂

AlexSimon

Stoner – Member

Goldeneye?
    On Wii? I haven’t played it.
    It probably wouldn’t the same without a house full of students 😉
    Perhaps I need to do a reunion if it’s that good.

hatter

Another vote for X-com. Played the original back in the day and just remember a ‘brick-wall’ learning curve with very little reward and lots of cheap shots from the AI.

The new one is a proper remake in that it retains the essence of what made the old one good (tension, challenge and thoughtful strategy) but rebalanced the difficulty to make it less frustrating and added pretty modern graphics.

Crap remakes tend to be ones that just take a brand name and slap it on an otherwise unrelated game to try and get some nostalgia money, Syndicate springs to mind. Shame, I played the original to death.

clubber
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

Stoner – Member

Goldeneye?

On Wii? I haven’t played it.
    It probably wouldn’t the same without a house full of students
    Perhaps I need to do a reunion if it’s that good.

Sounds like I had a similar uni experience – Goldeneye (N64) was on permanently and we were really getting quite good at it.

I got it for the Wii (or was given it) and it’s ok but it’s completely different (the controls have been brought in line with modern games) and I just don’t think it’s as much fun tbh though the online is quite entertaining.

shermer75
    Free Member

Elite- when they went from wire framed space ships to solid ones.

shermer75
    Free Member

I posted that before reading the thread (obvs 😉 ) and then flicked back thru and found it surprising and heartwarming to see how many times it had already been mentioned. Got so many good memories of playing that game!!

rickon
    Free Member

The Secret of Monkey Island, with the updated high-def graphics.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Definitely Goldeneye, especially the facial animation 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

I actually MUCH prefer the original Monkey Island graphics. More character!

zilog6128

Another vote for X-com. Played the original back in the day and just remember a ‘brick-wall’ learning curve with very little reward and lots of cheap shots from the AI.

The new one is a proper remake in that it retains the essence of what made the old one good (tension, challenge and thoughtful strategy) but rebalanced the difficulty to make it less frustrating and added pretty modern graphics.Definitely. The battles in the original are virtually unplayable now by modern standards – frustrating, slow & clunky. The remake is so much better in that department, very quick battles that focus on tactics.

The only thing that is arguably still better in the original is the base building/management which has been streamlined/dumbed down (delete as applicable) significantly.

alcolepone
    Free Member

goldeneye wii, facial anim and explosions much improved over the n64 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Elite was just fantastic – was really excited when I discovered Oolite, but unless I’ve gone crap in my old age (and that certainly can’t be counted out), I found Oolite loads harder than Elite, to the point of CBA.

just hack the file give yourself a load of cash and then go and have fun. I dont think it is any harder though. Some of the add ons can be hard though. I can recommend the random hits and assasins guild missions.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I know it’s a sequel but I prefer Portal2 over Portal – it looks so much better and it’s so much more fun

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘any computer game remakes you think improve over the original game?’ is closed to new replies.