Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any Commercial Divers on here.
  • humanbean
    Free Member

Just qualified as a Commercial Air Diver, are there any others here??

scotsman
    Free Member

what kind of work you looking for, oil field?

TooTall
    Free Member

I hope you get work. Family friend retreated back to his previous work as there was so little going and he’d had a couple of years of good work before that.

Xylene
    Free Member

Did you do your training at Fort William or South Africa?

I have an old school friend who based himself in Phuket bought a bar (as much as you can buy a business in Thailand) and spends his time there between contracts.

humanbean
    Free Member

scotsman
    I am looking for any kind of diving work really keen to get my foot in the door. I would obviously love an opportunity in the oil/gas industry.
    Quirrel
    Trained at fort william, great way to say goodbye to my ellsworth, on cow hill and at Nevis Range, now selling to fund my diver medic course

I believe it is pretty hard to get your first job but i am confident and won’t be put off lightly.

scotsman
    Free Member

You will struggle to get into oil and gas even when the work kicks off in March April for the North Sea season, best bet is take anything even if the money is s***e just to get time in the drink. Offshore wind farm (air diving) work is good to get into if you can, rates are good to.
    Also do your offshore rigging ticket if you can afford/have time to, its a way into the oil and gas companies like Subsea7, Technip, ISS and many more, then once you are in push for the air jobs, you are almost guaranteed a standby slot whilst you are on as a rigger. Only problem with the big subsea players is they are very cliquey and if yer face don’t fit! If it does fit and you get on well and stick it out you never know you may end up in the bin on the 1500 quid a day superstar bubble heed jobs!
    But be prepared for constant knock-backs and a couple of years of s***e before you get a decent hitch.
    I presume you have a list of worldwide marine/subsea contractors if not I can give you one?
    My advice is make up a list of preferred companies and go knocking on doors, calling every other week and harassing, eventually you will get lucky as on that particular day you call they will be crewing for an upcoming contract and will be short of a couple of bods and hey presto, in this game it’s 90% luck and 10% skill!
    Good luck!

Davesport

Been doing sat in the NS for almost 20 years. Can I help ?

D.

humanbean
    Free Member

great advice keep it coming, i am in aberdeen from the 10th Jan for my offshore survival it would be great if anyone close fancies a drink and a chat about the diving industry.

Davesport – sounds like the industry has been good to you, well done!, still enjoying it?

seanoc
    Free Member

Don’t get stuck in a rut working inshore civils, you’ll work horrendous hours for sod all pay but you’ll be too knackered to do any job hunting when you finish. It may be good for experience because if you can burn or weld in 3m of silt at the bottom of a dock you’ll be able to do it anywhere. Have a plan and stick to it, get off shore and kiss ass…..you may not necessarily need your sat ticket to dive/get paid for sat diving. A couple of times in the pot and you may have the 7k for your ticket.

Avoid Nigeria, if you do end up there then invest in a second passport……you will have to surrender one at some point.

Diving is appropriately between distillery and divorce in the dictionary.

Seems DS will know more than anyone else here; he towers over my meager experience.

Davesport

Humanbean.

still enjoying it?

I don’t know anyone who can say hand on heart that it’s an enjoyable job. Too many uncertainties, variables & the amount of work can fluctuate in the extreme.

Getting your foot on the ladder could be difficult. You’ll need contacts on the inside. Use any means at your disposal to get yourself on a DSV. IE take any job available. Rigger, sat tender, project admin. Anything that will get you offshore. Don’t rely on offshore HR giving you a job. If you’re in ABZ keep an eye open for DSV’s in the harbour. Take a copy of your CV containing all your relevant experience & ask at the vessels security hut if you can speak to the OCM (offshore construction manager) He’ll put you in the picture & will more than likely admire your pluck at getting OB “his” vessel.

Good luck & don’t let yourself be put off. If I can offer any other help feel free to ask.

D.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any Commercial Divers on here.’ is closed to new replies.