Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Any Cider drinkers here?
  • ski
    Free Member

Help

A mate who is into his Cider is having a 40th birthday

I was thinking of buying him a selection of bottled Ciders, well one for each year of his age 😉 but here’s the crunch, from a local supermarket rather than a local scrumpy supplier.

So was wondering, is there any decent bottled ciders that are worth looking out for, I might even double up and buy some for myself.

Ta very much for any advice & sorry to all you die hards who hate supermarket cider, no offence intended.

trailmonkey

Anything by Henry Westons is usually a good starting point.

ski
    Free Member

Thanks TM first one added to my list to look out for 😉

flip
    Free Member

Cheddar Valley 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I think Tesco’s stock some of the more obscure and boutique Thatchers offerings.. they do round here anyway..

If you really love the guy just order him a keg of Thatchers Traditional..

colournoise

Anything from Aspalls (they do 4 different bottled ciders, all VERY good)

Greengoblin from Wychwood

Thatcher’s single variety ciders.

Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Suffolk Cyder (made by Aspalls – got some in my fridge for later tonight actually).

slainte 😀 rob

ski
    Free Member

If you really love the guy just order him a keg of Thatchers Traditional

LOL neat idea, but thought a selection might give me a better chance of stocking up some for myself too 😉

Thanks flip will add Cheddar Valley to my search list as well as Thatchers 😉

thejesmonddingo

Any of Henneys.

Pigface
    Free Member

Westons +1 one of the only drinks I miss since being teetotal is a cold Westons Perry on a summer evening.

thejesmonddingo

P.S. If you’ve got a Morrison’s near you,they have a good selection,at 4 bottles for £5.50.HTH

ski
    Free Member

Hang on Eurovison has started so going to sign off for a bit and see if GN is any better than TW for taking the iss?

😉

peteimpreza

Second the Henneys suggestion.

Superb cider.

deluded
    Free Member

Orchard Pig.

Thatchers Oak Matured.

ANYTHING by Westons (the Organic in particular).

Frome Valley Henny’s.

Bulmers.

1/2 his age could be made up of this – http://www.marksandspencer.com/Cider-Selection-Case-of-20/dp/B003OZW9T8?extid=TP_2_FRO_T_MSF_

Love me cider do I.

All the best.

PJM1974
    Free Member

After not touching the stuff for twenty years, I’ve recently started experimenting with it again…I’m normally a real ale drinker so it feels like I’m dabbling with road biking.

I’m currently supping a Savannah Dry, which is a whole lot nicer than downing two litres of Woodpecker in the local park in between trying to get off with Trudy Kelly.

DrBlonde
    Free Member

Agree with the Aspalls and Sainsb Taste the Difference. Haven’t yet had chance to try it but had it on good authority from a few seasoned cider drinkers that the new Stella cider is good so maybe one to add to the collection too

poppa
    Free Member

Waitrose have/used to have a few types of cider.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m currently supping a Savannah Dry, which is a whole lot nicer than downing two litres of Woodpecker

That’s like saying ‘I’d rather drink my own urine than someone elses.’

Get into something British (or French) and not that tasteless pish. You’ll like yourself a lot more if you do.

rob2
    Free Member

Thatchers single variety – the only ones that don’t give me a splitting headache the next day!

Or just get really medieval and get some proper scrumpy ! (i know a few places nr mrs rob’s mum and dad in summmmerzet).

sa9000
    Free Member

Another vote for Westons try the organic, or old rosie.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Some good suggestions above. Had a look in our new waitrose yesterday and they have the best range of obscure ciders I’ve seen in a supermarket. Their own brankmoak matured cider and perry are lovely, they also stock addlesons which is very nice.

billyboy
    Free Member

HENRY WESTON’s Vintage Cider…… my one true love, apart from bicycles

sofaking
    Free Member

add bottled black rat to your list( morrisons)

lunge

Waitrose have got Old Rosie in at the moment. That is a proper scrumpy that is.

Hobster
    Free Member

Black Fox by Dunkertons. Should be able to get it in Waitrose or perhaps 40 litres of White Lightning.

emma82
    Free Member

ANYTHING by Westons (the Organic in particular).

This is evil stuff, I used to love it but 6 pints on an empty stomach 8 months ago has meant I can’t even smell it without wanting to be sick.

However, Westons cider is lovely.

Muke
    Free Member

Cornish Rattler….try your local JD Weatherspoons they carry quite a few bottled ciders.

yunki
    Free Member

6 pints on an empty stomach 8 months ago

aaah.. classic amateur cider drinkers mistake..

what you need to do is eight pints of this on an empty stomach.. every day for six months..

when I went to see the doc for blood tests at the end of the binge.. they asked me if I had been to a third world country recently.. 😳

CarlThomas
    Free Member

Have a look here, some nice ciders and delivery too

http://www.realbeerbox.com/products.asp?Search_Type=Styles&Search_ID=5

Check out their beer range too

emma82
    Free Member

when I went to see the doc for blood tests at the end of the binge.. they asked me if I had been to a third world country recently..

Lol. Good work

. classic amateur cider drinkers mistake..

How very dare you, I’d been drinking cider for 11 years by that point. Well, strongbow-actually I’m not sure that counts does it.

Green goblin is also quite nice too, tis on offer in sainsbury’s at the moment

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

+1 for Waitrose’s range. The range is better in store.

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getCategories.do?tags=20001|21064|21156

Keva
    Free Member

Sheppys is rather nice, can be bought in the supermarket.

Kev

chvck
    Free Member

Good suggestions on here, I’ll add Stowford Press

plodtv
    Free Member

Gwynt y Ddraig

http://www.gwyntcider.com/

supermarkets usually pick up at least black dragon, and orchard press, think some of their scrumpys and perrys are beginning to find their way to the shelves.

deluded
    Free Member

plodtv –

I sampled some glasses of Black Dragon at an Ale & Cider festival at a rugby club last summer — very nice indeed.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m a Thatchers fan (they’re kinda local).

Cheddar Valley

God I hope you can’t get it in bottles now – you’ll go blind man! I had a session of that at The Vic while attending the Priddy Folk Festival last year and tried mountain biking back to Wells afterwards – comically bad idea.

From Wikipedia: “There is also Cheddar Valley cider, which is cloudy with a distinctive orange, almost red, colouration. These rough ciders have a short shelf life and are generally tapped straight from a barrel kept in a pub’s bar rather than its cellar.”

deluded
    Free Member

buzz – I’ve cycled up Nash Hill (Clapton-in-Gordano, you may know it) after a few CV’s. It’s NOT recommended. 😮

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Any Cider drinkers here?’ is closed to new replies.