Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Any chisel experts around?
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

I think I’ll go with that Powerfix set and learn how to sharpen them properly.

willyboy
    Free Member

Don’t forget to try car boot sales for tools. I have found some really good hand tools at our local boot sales for next to nothing.

CountZero

I think I’ll go with that Powerfix set and learn how to sharpen them properly.

Always a good plan. For repairing a badly dinged edge, a couple of large diamond ‘stones’ from eBay would do, for keeping a good edge, then some offcuts of MDF board, about 6″x3″, with different grades of wet’n’dry Spraymounted on either side will work just fine, dead cheap and easily replaced when the paper gets shagged out*, start at 800/1000, then 2000/4000, then finish with 6000 if necessary.
    *As the paper gets worn, it gets betterer for putting a polish on the edge.
    This is the system used by spoon carvers, etc, for putting an edge on knives and axes, my carving axes will shave my arm, so the same system will do a perfectly good job with chisels, for the purposes you need.
    Here you go, three stones, coarse, fine and X-fine, for nine quid:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neilsen-Diamond-Course-Fine-Extra-Fine-Set-Sharpening-Stone-150mm-6-Whetsone-/301936294681?hash=item464cce3b19:g:5vIAAOSw1DtXGN6G

mucker

Any good, from Power Tools Direct.

8 pc Irwin Marples

manton69

Go on to eBay and look for used chisels. I mainly carve and i had lost one of my favourite chisels. I ended up buying an old boys much loved set of 20 for the price of 2 new Marples chisels. If you know what you are looking for then you are away and then spend some money on the guides and sharpening kit.

No use to you, but I have a pocket set of DMT diamond sharpeners (200 and 600 grit) and use them far more often than I ever thought possible. Mind you I hate blunt things that should be sharp, but less of my OCD, sorry.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Any chisel experts around?’ is closed to new replies.