Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Any cheapskates in the house. tesco yellow reduced sticker content..
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

pretty damn pleased with my cheapskate self. Bit skint (payday tomorrow) Headed off to local Tescos cos they start reducing all the sell-by goodies at 8pm.

Got me 2 deli pre-cooked Garlic n herb chicken breasts for 34p each reduced from 1.70 each. get in!

2 packs of “make a meal with” slow cooked chicken for 50p each, reduced from 2.30 each. Right result!

4 packs Welsh black beef curry – “any 2 for 4.50”? forget that – 60p each. CASHBAACK!

and a few other things. whacked ’em in the freezer. Sorted 🙂

I was competing with a bloke in an electric wheelchair and a scatty old woman with a thing for prawns.

Everyone should do this. That’s what freezers are for!

taxi25
    Free Member

get stuck in mate 😀 10 to 10 at my local co-op is like a war zone. 😯

Kevevs
    Free Member

I play call of duty for half hour before suiting up with my rucksack and getting on the bike to tescos. Gotta get the mindset right to fight for those sweet sweet deals! all ethics, moral codes, belief systems, fall by the wayside. That bloke in the electric wheelchair WILL NOT take ALL those family sized puff pastry meat pies(reduced from a fiver to 80p). The frail old lady WILL NOT have all the Prawns. No, It’s a fight for survival in the far end of aisle 24.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been known to dabble with the yellow stickers, and my wife has a habit of bringing home food we don’t need because it was cheap – but we are both rank amateurs next to you sir.

NJA

A queue forms outside my local co-op at 6.30 – mainly old grannies. The feeding frenzy around the poor guy with the yellow stickers is frightening, I am not that brave!

rossi46
    Free Member

Love life- love Lidl’s…….

trail_rat
    Free Member

me n the mrs had steak and prawns the last two nights

big box of fantailed king prawns for 1.00 reduced from 4.50 !!! and 4 large bits of sirloin (admittedly it wasnt very good meat but tescos never is) for 2.05 from 6.99

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Quails Eggs were going cheap at Waitrose last night… £3.50 per dozen.

What, what.

binners

Morrisons is the best for this. For some reason they discount most things to a price of £0.09. I don’t know why, but 9p seems to be their thing.

I was there last week as they were putting the stuff in off the fish counter. Just happened to be passing at the right time. I got two full rainbow trout and two salmon fillets for the princely sum of £1.80. Ker-ching! 😀

If you want to see what the end of the world will look like though, watch the Halal meat being discounted in Hulme Asda. You’d have to be insane to try and get between the veiled, black-clad hordes and that reduced diced lamb 😯

finbar
    Free Member

This game is all about going shopping at 4.35pm on a Sunday.

rossi46
    Free Member

Food poisoning beckons if youre not careful! Some of it that ive seen is right on the verge of dodginess!

big_scot_nanny

I used to work at Somerfield in Aberdeen, and you sir would have been christened a ‘minky boots’, as this was the name the staff gave to the, shall we say, ‘bargain hunting’ shoppers who used to wait at the door to the back office and HOUND the unfortunate shelf stacker and price gun wielder who had the fabled yellow stickers… get off me people! Leave me alone! Aaaaarghghghgh! 😆

Kev

totalshell

insider.. most large supermarkets now have reductions by a set amount at set times of day( they know whats on the shelf what its shelf life is and when it expires) so little billy goes round 1st and whips 25% off then revisits circa 3pm and has another 25% off anything left at the end of trade has to be ‘wasted’ at its full value so its essential to managers that they clear all reduced stock before closing so for you die hards best choice of RTC ( reduced to clear) at about noon for more discount circa 5Pm and for final dregs and lowest prices 10 minutes before closing. the best stores are stores that have been open less than a year ( they have much larger waste budgets so get loads delivered extra especially focus on those stores less than 3 montrhs old for a real bonanza. there are professionals out there doing this so tool up, shallow trolley and dont be british push in.. befriend the kid that reduces the stuff they are normally student types late at night and usually willing to do a deal if you buy all of something they are reducing in 24 hr stores most companies want to be clear by 10pm when the night team starts
    join the bargain bettys..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Food poisoning beckons if youre not careful! Some of it that ive seen is right on the verge of dodginess!

You big girl. Most of the sell by dates on food are about 3 days off their use-by dates and even then it’s almost always fine for another few days. Jesus, you’re like my neighbour who bins things 2 days before the sell by just in case! 🙂

I have a photo, somewhere, that will blow your minds. I’ll try to find it before the end of the day.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Amateurs!

Load the whole shelf into the trolley, then move on quickly to another aisle where you can go through the booty and discard all that you dont want!

Job done 😈

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tadaaaaa

whoops! by j.buckle, on Flickr

All either group buys or Whoops…

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Careful there coffeeking. Agreed all food will last a fair bit longer than the sell by date would suggest, but that packet of meat (pork?) bottom right is past it! 22 years as a master butcher tells me its only fit for the dog! Its ‘blown’, gasses from the decomposition have filled the plastic to make the lid expand…

Hope you got a BOGOF on bog rolls 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

“Minky Boots” LOL! ahh well, say what you see!

Totalshell – I know the score bud, I work in Asda, for my sins.

Interesting about Morrisons and the 9p thing Binners. Nearest Morrisons is a few miles away, might have to tie it into one of my roadrides 🙂

coffeeking – you’ll be the first to know if I start sh**ing my pants or puking up a lung. Use by date 29/7/11. anyway, the goodies are in the freezer. and the unfreezerable stuff in getting eat.

I’ll watch out for that CaptainCarbon. good tip there.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There needs to be a “Like” button on STW threads.

+1, would read again.

binners

I can’t be the only one who’s now concerned for the longevity of coffeeking 😯

captaincarbon – The missus witnessed someone doing precisely that the other week

Kevevs – anything bakery/bread based stuff,pizza’s etc = 9p. I’ve seen it so many times I’m starting to think its some kind of running staff joke. Lovin’ ‘Minky Boots’ 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Agreed all food will last a fair bit longer than the sell by date would suggest, but that packet of meat (pork?) bottom right is past it! 22 years as a master butcher tells me its only fit for the dog! Its ‘blown’, gasses from the decomposition have filled the plastic to make the lid expand…

Nonsense, it came from a cold fridge into a summer day, the air expanded – no decomposition was present! If it had been inflated in the fridge then I’d agree 😀 (Ate it last year, no smell, no problems, no undue loo visit). Though you’re more than welcome to recommend me any meats you think would go well in a slow cooker and are nice and cheap at the butchers 😀

I can’t be the only one who’s now concerned for the longevity of coffeeking

Awww, someone cares! 🙂 Thanks 😀

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

coffeeking! thats bloomin excellent! as if your neighbour, grrr i hate people like that my girlfiriends mother is like that! mind i got to eat a lot of food though, as it was going out of date soon anyway!

The bread section is best… i love bread!! and I have often come away with 6/7 loafs of bread for under £1 decnt ones too. And our flat last year was slightly damp (is what i think caused this) but the bread just seemed to stay nice and moist for ages, didnt go off for days! was excellent

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Binners.. its the way forward!

Coffeeking TFFT!

binners

I’ve go to nip into Morrisons on the way home now. I’ll give it a go 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

if I ever get banned I’m coming back as “minky boots” lol. report back Binners 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeeking TFFT!

I’ve eaten a wimpey burger before and paid the price, while a cheapskate I certainly wont take that sort of risk again! (a week off work curled on the bathroom floor!)

if I ever get banned I’m coming back as “minky boots” lol.

+1

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Coffeking.. hope you dont make a habit of leaving dirty plates around with all that nearly-fresh food lying around? 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeking.. hope you dont make a habit of leaving dirty plates around with all that nearly-fresh food lying around?

Good spot. To be honest…yes, I did. But not so any more, since we bought a dishwasher. There was a time when I’d wait until I ran out of cutlery and re-usable plates before washing up, those days are gone. That said, I do think hygiene is somewhat over-ratedemphasised.

If you time it right, at our asda, you used to be able to get a weeks fresh meat and veg and a bottle of wine for about £10-15

marsdenman
    Free Member

Rank amateurs, the lot of you…
    Father in law has been at the ‘Whoops’ sticker game for years – he’s so well known in his local supermarkets that some of the longer serving members of staff know him by name and, on occasion, tip him off that ‘XYZ is the just 5 mins off being discounted, if you want to hang around…’ 😀
    We’re a touch too far away / lazy to benefit from his ever bulging fridge and freezer but the brother-in-law and family are well fed!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Photo, or it never happened….

marsdenman
    Free Member

Photo, or it never happened….

LOL!
    Sadly I cannot proffer photo’s, CK – we’re 30 miles from the in-laws, touch too big a drive to generate proof for an STW thread 😉
    Next time we’re there though I will get shots of the 2 x (single width) chest freezers in their garage and the ‘bottomless’ fridge – truly, it’s never empty!
    Think it’s born of the FIL being the last of 12 kids – he truly knows the meaning of ‘making a little go a long way’.
    He’s at the supermarket probably every other night, probably brings home about as much as you each time, CK! As above, it gets distributed around the family, It does drive the mother in law scatty but they eat well and their pensions go a hell of a long way!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think that’s a get out clause – there’s no limit to which a true STW member will go to get proof for an argument on here.

😀

hels
    Free Member

So, and making it clear than I am not a “dirty minker” – how does this work in 24hour supermarkets then ??

chakaping
    Free Member

This would have made a brilliant plot for Still Game, if they hadn’t stopped making it.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

You lot need to improve your standards.

It’s bad enough shopping in Tesco in the first place without having to undergo the eternal shame of buying bin ready meals…..

The quality is bad in there to begin with so something that’s getting wiffy is just going to be plain bad.

Having said that I did buy some reduced Bombay Sapphire in there recently – they were selling off 50cl bottles cheaply.

It didn’t seem to make me feel too dirty buying that.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also, ‘whoops sticker game’?

Why is it called that?

chakaping
    Free Member

M&S at about 3.30pm on a Sunday afternoon is a fertile hunting ground for the more upmarket yellow sticker enthusiast btw.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

None of that unseemly behaviour in Waitrose i’m glad to say, another good reason to shop there (also the only proper size supermarket in my town)

Kevevs
    Free Member

24hrs tesco hels. 8pm-8.30pm seems to be the “eternal shame of buying bin ready meals” time round here. DrSwank- I was waiting for a post like that. Come round here, I’ll cook you some lovely delights you’d never know came from a yellow reduced sticker!

wonder what Binners got from Morrisons…

has “dirty minker” been coined on this thread?

spooky_b329

Used to work in Tesco and spent many an evening writing out 10p labels for all fresh food departments. Occasionally we would get the odd chicken or joint of meat, the exact words from above were ’10p everything’ so one evening, I slapped a 10p sticker on a £7 chicken. My department manager came past to say goodbye, spied it and bought it pronto. The next day I got called into the office and told off by the same manager for reducing it too much! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Any cheapskates in the house. tesco yellow reduced sticker content..’ is closed to new replies.