Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any chance my road quill stem (1987 probably) isn't 26.0mm?
  • nedrapier

Looking at doing some buying today. Got my eyes on a Soma Highway 1. It’d be annoying to get some 26mm bars and find out it’s a 25.4 stem. Or is 25.4 only for mtbs?

Cheers!

dovebiker

If it’s a road stem, most were 26.0 and a few like Cinelli were 26.4 and MTBs stuck with 25.4mm.

nedrapier

I’ll give it a whirl, then. Thanks!

Sundayjumper

…MTBs stuck with 25.4mm.

Some early MTBs used 26.0mm, I’ve got a couple of early Specializeds that do. It’s a pain tbh.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I fitted thise bars in a 25.4 stem by accident.

Thought it was a bit stiff going on like

amedias
    Free Member

plenty of road stems out there were 25.4, (or 25.0 if they are old french), 25.8 and 26.4 as well as 26.0 so measure to be sure!

is size not marked on the existing bars (or is this build from bits) ?

nedrapier

F&F n bars skip rescue. There was a bare marin mtb flat bar in there when I got it, I’m assuming that’s 25.4mm. It did seemed loose with the bolt loosened, but I don’t know what the normal tolerance is. I also don’t know whether the bar was the right size, if it was in there as a placeholder, or if it was ever tightened up properly and ridden like that.

Didn’t order today anyway, so I’ll see if I can discover anything more tonight.

teasel
    Free Member

I’ll contact the guy and ask if he can contact the original owner in a bid to get some info for you, if you want.

The internet suggests it comes with drops. I find it hard to imagine guy running it loose for all that time but you never know…

🙂

nedrapier

cheers teasel, don’t go to any trouble though – I did some investigating last night with a couple of 25.4 bars. It’s rattling around when the stem bolt is loose, and the resistance ramps up quite a bit when tightening, but well before it’s tightening on the bars. Seems like that’s the clamp being pushed father than it should be.

Either way, I’m pretty sure it’s good for 26mm.

Just need to decide on mini vs or cantis, then I’ll be ordering and building. I’ll send you a pic when it’s built!

teasel
    Free Member

Nice one!

nedrapier

it’s a 25.4mm. and I’ve got scratches on my new bars.

SR forged AX80. Could have looked it up…

teasel
    Free Member

Bollocks!

Not a nice one.

epicyclo

Can’t remember the exact size, but some French bikes used a different size but close to that.

I can check on my Andre Bertin when it’s daylight if necessary.

nedrapier

Thanks epicyclo, but don’t worry. I’ll get a new stem. I like the bars.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any chance my road quill stem (1987 probably) isn't 26.0mm?’ is closed to new replies.