• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any car MOT testers on here?
  • dubber71
    Free Member

Just a quick question if anyone can answer..
    My daughters car is due an MOT very soon and as much as I’ve said to her about getting it checked over its falling on deaf ears.
    My question is the back doors O/S and N/S can’t be opened from inside due to the handles being broken..
    Is this an MOT failure?
    Thanks,Paul

cbike
    Free Member

Child lock on?

cbike
    Free Member

Well that answers it then anyway. probably not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dubber71
    Free Member

cbike, no it’s not the child lock on..

benji
    Free Member

MoT tester here.

Only front doors have to be capable of being opened from the inside and outside, rear doors as long as they open from the outside are fine, for the reason of child locks. Broken door handles in rear isn’t a reason to fail.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Is it right that if you take the vehicle in a month early, and it fails, then you can’t drive it, regardless of the fact that you still have a month left on the MOT?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Well it would have just been assessed as not being upto the minimum standard of roadworthyness – so what do you think?

trail_rat
    Free Member

FFS – what wanmankylung says .

knowingly driving a non roadworthy car round – what part of that sounds like a good idea ?

drewd

You can drive it to get the faults fixed, or to take it back in for the retest. You can’t just drive it around though.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

houndlegs
    Free Member

Keep yer **** knickers on you two, someone told me the law had changed and I asked a question. FFS.

Northwind

wanmankylung – Member

Well it would have just been assessed as not being upto the minimum standard of roadworthyness – so what do you think?

I think it’s exactly as safe as lots of 2-door cars etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

except that wanmankylung wasnt replying to the OP……. he was replying to the question of “is it safe to drive my just failed its minimum safety standards test car on the public road ”

oh and the law hasnt changed. Its always been the case taht if it failed you can take it to a place to have it fixed and take it back to have it retested.

most folk flaunt this because they see the paperwork as still being in valid – how ever safety is not a piece of paper unfortunately.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I think it’s exactly as safe as lots of 2-door cars etc.

Yip, I agree. That’s why it would pass a MOT.

A car that had just failed a MOT and not had any repairs done wouldn’t so wouldnt be legal to drive other than in the circumstances above.

Keep yer **** knickers on you two, someone told me the law had changed and I asked a question. FFS.

You asked a question, I gave an answer. No underwear was removed in the process.

sbob
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

FFS – what wanmankylung says .

knowingly driving a non roadworthy car round – what part of that sounds like a good idea ?

Car fails on non-returning rear seatbelt.
    You don’t take rear passengers.
    What’s the problem?

Northwind

My motorbike was unroadworthy for 364 days a year.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What’s the problem?

you cant prove that you don’t take rear seat passengers?

sbob
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

My motorbike was unroadworthy for 364 days a year.

You mean illegal. 😉

To give a more complete answer to the queries above, unless things have changed recently:

Rear passenger doors only have to open and close from the outside, as per benji’s advice.

Failing an early MOT does not rescind your existing MOT.

Failing an early MOT for dodgy tyres still means you have dodgy tyres, but you are guilty of having dodgy tyres, not driving without an MOT.

So if your car fails an early MOT for say dodgy tyres, but you then have them replaced, you will then again be legal without the need for a retest until your existing MOT runs out.

Unless things have changed recently… 😀

sbob
    Free Member

wanmankylung – Member

you cant prove that you don’t take rear seat passengers?

That’s only a problem from a legal POV, not a moral one.
    Trail_rat didn’t specify which he was considering, but it sounded like the latter, hence my example. 🙂

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn’t run out, except to:

have the failed defects fixed
    a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

From https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

sbob
    Free Member

That was already linked to, if you disagree with what I have written (and I could be wrong, my info is dated) then show me a link to the relevent law.
    Edit: Please! This stuff interests me.

That’s assuming that you’re disagreeing with me…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any car MOT testers on here?’ is closed to new replies.