Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any car insurance peeps about?
  • billysugger
    Free Member

I am a donut.

I have not insured a car for very nearly 3 years thinking that my NCB would still be valid. I had an accident a couple of years ago which has basically meant I didn’t need a car.

Now apparantly according to most insurers during the previous 3 years I have forgotten how to drive and I’m now a total liability to all other road users.

Does anyone know of a company that will recognise 3 year old NCB?

Or am I back to paying £1200 a year to insure a van. Funny, I don’t feel 19 again. Robbing shitehawks.

Jamie
    Free Member

My understanding is if you do not use it in 2 years you lose it?

billysugger
    Free Member

Yeah so I’ve learned but there are companies that’ll consider it after 3. How do I find out who though?

Direct Line will but they want the same amount from me with the 8 years NCB I had as the best alternative company quoted with zero NCB.

I hate insurance…well, more so this country. It bleeds you dry unless you’re like most of my neighbours and pop out a couple of little income streams. It doesn’t pay to work….going off on one a bit

IanW
    Free Member

Whoever was your last insurer may accept it.

br
    Free Member

So the last time you had a car you claimed for an accident, and since then you’ve not driven?

What makes you think that anyone would consider you anything other than a high(er) risk?

And to put it into perspective, I’ve not claimed in over 25 years and still my car insurance went up by 20% this year.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We had this a few years back after surviving with one car.

Missus eventually talked to a broker who did a bit better than online but we then spoke to Admiral (ie a rang them) and explained we’d both been driving the same amount for the last few years. We didnt get an ncd but an “introductory” discount. After one year this got converted to a 40% ncd.

So my advice – use the phone. The web cant cover all eventualities and if youre seen as a good risk someone will offer a reasonable premium (usually).

However you mention an accident above – I dont know if that throws a spanner in the works.

billysugger
    Free Member

I’m misleading you with the accident bit. that was on a motorbike and non fault anyway. This was just the reason I haven’t been able to afford to buy and insure another car.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Some companies will accept it but they knock years off for the number of years past the 2 year expiry.
    Admiral, Bell, Elephant and Diamond (same company) will honour it. But for exaple if you have 5yrs NCB they will knock 3 years off cos its out of date so you’ll have 2 yrs intro.
    Have you tried putting a female driver on the policy too? That sometimes knocks the price down.

Bike claims aren’t really considered as its a different type of risk. Bike convictions on the other hand are considered.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any car insurance peeps about?’ is closed to new replies.