Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any car industry (dealer types) on here? Marked paint work …
  • letmetalktomark

We recently had our wheels balanced at the local dealer – they were the cheapest around.

All was fine but we’ve noticed that in a couple of places on one side of the car you can see fingerprint/hand marks.

On close inspection they look like glove marks.

Where the affected areas are the paint (metallic) has dulled and has been left with a whitish mark.

I’ve thoroughly cleaned the areas and whilst wet the marks vanish but re appear when dry.

I’m not looking for recourse against the dealer just how best to remedy the situation and get an understanding of what caused it!

All help much appreciated 🙂

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Any decent polish should get rid of the mark.

letmetalktomark

Will bust out the trusty turtlewax and give it a try.

Any thoughts as to what cussed it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

maybe dirty glove marks removed with inappropriate cleaner ?

sssimon
    Free Member

needs degreased then polished, my car is covered in marks like that, I fit tyres as part of my job. Never sure if it’s copper grease, tyre mounting wax, or something off the tyres (releasant?) but it’s a pain to get off

Gotama
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – if its bog standard turtlewax it’s a wax, not a polish. All you’ll do is put a protective coat over the top of the mark!

letmetalktomark

😳

Any recommendations for a decent fairly priced car polish then?

McHamish
    Free Member

tcut.

mrchrispy

I hear used dot5 works a treat!

hot_fiat

Could it be the mechanic had brake fluid on their gloves?

I wouldn’t use a rubbing compound just yet: a bit like using bolt droppers to trim a cable end.

I’d try, in this order:
    A good car wash
    Pampers baby wipes (yes, really)
    Auto glym super resin polish. Use lots on the area and rub it in with a really soft cloth. The cloth should just start to take on the colour of the paint. At that point, wipe it nearly clean and let it dry. Then polish it back with a soft dry cloth.
    A very gentle compound like maguires non abrasive colour restorer)
    A more abrasive compound like autoglym paint renovator (read instructions carefully -you’re now starting to really eat into the top coat, have you considered asking someone like dentmaster?)
    T-cut (ok, so now you need to know what you’re doing)

breadcrumb

The cloth should just start to take on the colour of the paint.

Except it won’t as the car is metallic so has a clear coat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any car industry (dealer types) on here? Marked paint work …’ is closed to new replies.