Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any car dealers on here? Can anyone help me out?
  • Daffy

Looking for an approximate valuation for my car when selling privately.

Need to sell in order to get the ridiculous house deposit required by the banks these days.

Anyone?

hora
    Free Member

Always use Parkers when selling:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/#

Dealers will always offer you the lowest Glasses price then sell at the top Parkers 🙄

Another option- offer your car to a few local dealers and ask them to 'bid' for the car. See what their best offer is. Its a good car, in a good colour with the right engine. Of course they will say 'everyone wants Kia's at the moment mate but (sigh) I might be interested as a punt'.

Stick it on here (but obscure the reg number);
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/

iDave
    Free Member

i was surprised at the price webuyanycar.com offered – at least worth considering

hora
    Free Member

Ps. Dont listen to what dealers tell you. One told me that my car wasnt worth anything as it wasnt popular and had 'high tax'/insurance costs. I was swamped with calls (oh and the dealer did the sales spiel of 'I can take a punt/risk I guess but the price would have to be right'- oh sod off). It sold in three days.

molgrips
    Free Member

webuyanycar offered me £50 for the car I then sold for £700.

freddyg
    Free Member

wow. Webuy etc has just offered me £1750 for ours. I'm very pleasantly surprised!

cynic-al
    Free Member

How about a few minutes on Autocar?

Jeez, folk are so lazy!

Daffy

Autocar tells you naff all….what a waste of 10 mins!

andydicko
    Free Member

Daffy, PM me the car details inc mileage and i'll get you a Glasses valuation tomorrow.

Rickos
    Free Member

Why not text that number that's on the TV adverts? Text your reg or something.

spooky_b329

t®ibal©hief – Member
    i was surprised at the price webuyanycar.com offered – at least worth considering

Be wary…apparently their tactics are to give you a good valuation, then you have to go to one of their offices to get the car checked. They keep you waiting for a few hours, then come and check the car and mark down every single defect, then keep you waiting another hour or so, then finally make a firm offer which is generally around half the original quote. By then you've wasted a whole saturday and its nearing dinnertime, you just want to get it over with and sign the car over to them!

No first hand experience but the above was the general opinion of them on another forum. One guy had taken is car in, they failed to find any faults but still refused to honour the web quote and would only offer £200 below the original price.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

For private sales, have a look through e-bay completed listings.

Don't bother with webuyanycar…. They are part of Carcraft and there basic business model is to pay a percentage of CAP Average, then just put the cars straight into auction.

LimboJimbo

There's no substitute for a bit of research on the web to find out what similar cars are up for. You should be able to benchmark that way after weeding out the sellers that are hopelessly optimistic and the usual high mileage horrors. Relying on the likes of Parkers for a quick 'price' can lead to unrealistic expectations as they are hopeless generalisations based on average sale prices months ago. Also, don't underestimate the value of a really good professional valet before showing a potential buyer the car. That's what gives the 'really good condition' feeling.

Daffy

It's hard to gauge on eBay, the auctions seem to sell really low and the classfieds are all over the place.

steveh

Buy on ebay sell on autotrader.

If it's for your bmw pistonheads classifieds are probably a good place to look. Check the sold items for a price guide.

hora
    Free Member

Lend it to me for a weekend. I can offer you a good appraisal on the price and condition then. Its difficult to tell with a snapshot TBH Daffy.

iainc

why obscure the reg no on Pistonheads ?

I sold a 2.5yr old Golf GTi at the end of last yr – had it on Pistonheads for 2 weeks with no interest, put in on Autotrader and sold in a day -)

hora
    Free Member

why obscure the reg no on Pistonheads

I just wouldnt have a car like that advertised with its plate visible- paranoid maybe.

Pistonheads is free to advertise as a standard ad. The more places you advertise the better.

iainc

hora – maybe I'm being thick but I don't see why – I mean you drive it around for anyone to see, so what's the difference ?

hora
    Free Member

Agree with you. Two-fold:

PH's- there has been one or two ads ringed on there- use your details and advertise a car that doesnt exist. Happened to the bro in law when he was selling his Golf V6. He came across the photos of his car and description in ad. Asian lad answered and said he was selling the car cheap and would meet him near his work (as he was 'busy' for a cheap sale etc).. bro in law obviously reported.

Or- Someone in a ratty 318i coupe living in London could have a quick look through the internet classifieds and pick out a plate reg that they can use for avoiding the congestion charge, fuel drive-off's, etc.

Paranoid I know and its rare but it can still happen- causing problems to sort out.

iainc

aha, that makes sense I guess.

Daffy

Cheers fellas, It's awaiting approval from Pistonheads.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any car dealers on here? Can anyone help me out?’ is closed to new replies.