Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any car aircon experts in??
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Air con in the car has started smelling a bit funny, but of a sour vinegary smell? Are those bomb things you get any good??

craigxxl
    Free Member

They do work well, have you changed your pollen filter

nealglover
    Free Member

I do an air on treatment that very effective against nasty smells.

Contains Fungicide/Bacticide/Herbicide in a Medical Grade Carrier that gets into the whole Aircon system and cleans it out.

Not had a customer yet that wasn’t happy with the results, and it makes the whole car smell great for a long time too.

So they do work, but I can only really comment on the one I use, and not the ones from Halfords which (based on the price) are not the same.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Nealglover I take it you do car air con. Hope you don’t mind if I ask a quick question.

My car is 5 years old and has never had the air con testing or refilling. This summer it has come to my attention that it has stopped working altogether, last year it worked but wasn’t very good. Does this sound like it just needs recharging or does it sound like it might have a leak?

globalti
    Free Member

The refrigerant has simply evaporated; the molecules escape through the seals and hoses over time.

Get it recharged.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thought a pollen filter change was more indicative of misting up etc. could that be the smell source?? Bout 20 Odd quid I think??

br
    Free Member

IMO Air-con pretty much works well if used all the time and the filter changed regularly – any variation to this…

This summer it has come to my attention that it has stopped working altogether, last year it worked but wasn’t very good.

Which kinda implies you only use it when its hot, and not fixing it last year could mean its dried out – which could mean big bills, rather than just a recharge.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Don’t use or be very careful using the aerosol type anti bacteria sprays, I work in a main dealer and see loads of people distroy the radio by spraying the foam into the vents as instructed and some of the foam/fluid runs into the radio head unit that then goes bang . Expensive error if it’s a navigation unit £1000+

argoose
    Free Member

Read somewhere that if you turn on AC for 10ish mins them straight to highest heat setting for 10ish mins then repeat AC to heat several times it will kill the bacteria that causes the odour.

globalti
    Free Member

Whoever started that one doesn’t understand how car AC and heating systems work.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Of you use the a/c regularly the bacteria will stop smelling as much but what ever you do the system needs a regas @2 years ish and pollen filters changed regularly !!! Condensers have a habit of corroding due to our great weather .

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Wrightyson – try running it for a few days withou pollen filter s in. See if the smell goes away.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any car aircon experts in??’ is closed to new replies.