Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any Canyon Spectral AL 7 owners?
  • aidso
    Free Member

Hoping to buy a new bike shortly and struggling to find some reviews of the above – quite a few reviews on the EX version, but id like to stay with Fox forks which the former comes with. The double up front doesnt really bother me, but when it wears it will probably go down to a 1×11.
    I’ve considered a Trek Fuel EX 8 and a Giant Anthem 2 which are around the same price but its hard to get my leg over the Trek and so its between a Giant and the Canyon so far.

Any happy owners of the Spectral?

hebridean
    Free Member

I’ve had a Spectral AL 7 29er for a couple of years now, with Fox forks. Can’t fault it. It’s a great trail bike and can cope with most things thrown at it (nephew has even ridden it down the bottom half of the Fort Bill with no issues).

No doubt the Canyon haters will be along in a minute but I have bought 3 bikes from Canyon and had no problems with customer service or delivery.

tom200

Ive got an al9.9 and it’s great for where I live. I’ve only swapped the grips, saddle and switched to 1×11. I didn’t even have to wait very long to get it.

bignoise
    Free Member

I’ve got the Spectral AL7 and can’t fault it. Only problem I’ve had was the usual reverb issues and it was dealt with efficiently. I’d buy again no problem.

aidso
    Free Member

@bignoise: What kind of riding would you do? The front fork looks plenty of travel for me, but ill not be jumping with it. More of an all day bike to tackle anything up or down

I have a CF EX version and a friend has a AL with 140 forks owned since 2015. Both great bikes and as you say good for all day up or down. Only problem we have had is my reverb started playing up and it was dealt with no problem.

pjtrailbuilder
    Free Member

I have borrowed one for a few weeks so unbiased view. It climbs very well and is light tackles very steep v tech well with shock open as it keeps loads of grip.
    Great downhill, corners very well, but took some messing to get correct set up, can feel a bit low through really rocky stuff so you have to time the pedals to avoid strikes but I think that’s why it decends and corners so well.
    Components are all a nice choices, wheels and tyres are great but need swapping to tubeless.
    If you are between sizes I would go for the larger (longer) one but check the drooper height as the seat tube is quite long, also the front end is a touch high but flipping the stem and removing spacer sorted that you could also fit a flat bar.
    Honestly i would get one with a PIKE fork, and that is from die hard fox fan, my new bike will have a PIKE.

pjtrailbuilder
    Free Member

Sorry that is for the 6 EX with Pike

aidso
    Free Member

Cheers man. EX 6 looks good as well – is the red as striking in real life? The thing putting me off that model is all the SRAM…I have a Spec Stumpjumper HT and trying to find SRAM chain rings are like hens teeth unless you want to fork out a fortune. I got lucky on my last replacement via Ebay

bone_idle
    Free Member

I run a Spectral with a 160 fork and a single offset bush to drop the BB, I have the CCDB on mine to be honest I can’t fault it. I built it up from a frame bought from the classifieds.

oldeh
    Free Member

Cheers man. EX 6 looks good as well – is the red as striking in real life? The thing putting me off that model is all the SRAM…I have a Spec Stumpjumper HT and trying to find SRAM chain rings are like hens teeth unless you want to fork out a fortune. I got lucky on my last replacement via Ebay

what type do you need? the x-sync ones are pretty freely available and are only £15

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-x-sync-1×11-chainring/

pjtrailbuilder
    Free Member

Personally I would buy the black stealth one. You could add your own Vinyl stickers over the originals frame fork and possibly rims, something bright like orange might work? then you can always revert back to stealth mode.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any Canyon Spectral AL 7 owners?’ is closed to new replies.