Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any cabinet makers/carpenters in the house tonight? Fitted wardrobe content!
  • beagle
    Free Member

We’ve torn out some falling apart fitted wardrobes in a bedroom. We were going to go with ikea pax or similar freestanding units. However, due to the chimney breast, it’s gonna be tricky.

Thus, we’ve had a quick look at new fitted wardrobes – price they want for sliders seems steep/not liking any of the designs. I reckon we could get someone local to make some up, nothing too fancy, don’t have to be sliding/glass etc – just some plain white ones with a bit of handy storage within.

Working on 3.9 metres across one wall (and standard 2.3 metre ceiling height) what sort of price would we be looking at? Gonna call a couple if locals tomorrow, but wondered if this type of thing has a typical price per metre?

Any craftsman in the house? Anyone had anything similar done? Any sage like advice much appreciated!!!

br
    Free Member

I built some free-standers for my Mum as due to a sloping ceiling she wanted short ones and you couldn’t buy.

Used mdf and then painted/rollered. About £200 in materials (mdf, paint, hinges, hanging rails) and a lot of effort/time. Joiner quoted £1000, unpainted.

chickenman

I would have thought in the region of £800-1000 for flat panelled doors, shelves (no drawers)in unpainted MDF.

beagle
    Free Member

Looking good br. Half considering having a go myself, possibly just within my abilities. How long did it take? Any special tools?

scousebri
    Free Member

Your quote will depend on the timber you want to use and the type of storage you want. I make bespoke kitchens and the biggest cost to a customer is materials.

nicko74

Is there any way to make it half-bespoke? Using something like Ikea parts and manipulating them to fit the required space? I’m hoping to be able to do something similar in the new house.

chickenman

Yeah: Table saw, biscuit jointer, router, drill press, hinge sink, jigsaw, power plane, sander, hammer drill…

beagle
    Free Member

Thanks Guys. I have some, but not all those tools….

Nicko, thanks for that. Great idea. Could have a go, or even pay for someone to do the bits round the chimney breast. Hmmm. Off to measure again!

Mugboo

I’m a big fan of the Pax wardrobes. I think they are great value but they are even better value 2nd hand off eBay.. Don’t see why you could buy a door or something to use as a panel or buy extra shelves and them little shelf brackets.
    In fact if you tell Ikea you’ve moved and lost a few bits they’ll give you them 🙂

Mugboo

And keep your eye out for sliders they are sometimes half price at B&Q

TomB

My carpenter mate built us a set of 2 either side of the chimney breast, one set 2 door width, one set 3, floor to ceiling with 3 drawers on soft close sliders inside each. Ash fronts, shaker style doors, mdf for the hidden carcasses. Cost £1500, of which just over half was materials. Hope that helps.

br
    Free Member

Yeah: Table saw, biscuit jointer, router, drill press, hinge sink, jigsaw, power plane, sander, hammer drill…

Chicenkman – do I know you?

Clamps, you forgot loads of clamps and plenty of space 🙂

takisawa2

I built these quite cheap. Doors were from Wickes, found them damaged on one side so supervisor let me have them for £5 each. Built the frame from 3×2, top infill is platerboard. Non-wall sides is mdf.

Wardrobes by pten2106, on Flickr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any cabinet makers/carpenters in the house tonight? Fitted wardrobe content!’ is closed to new replies.