Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any cabin crew in the house?
  • pondo
    Free Member

What’s that like, as a gig? 🙂

dantsw13

Which airline?

jaylittle
    Free Member

The missus is cabin crew, mostly domestic flights now with the odd charter.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sister in law is. She’s part time which means working Thursday to Sunday if I rrecall. Does about no work it seems in that time. However when there is something going on, planned night out/gig/someones birthday including her own children she always seems to be on the rota and there’s rarely any chance of changing it.
    In fact father in law is planning on taking us all away next August (as in 16 months or so away) and she can’t have the days off that they wanted to go.

Houns

An ex was/is one for Virgin

A vital part of the airlines staff, face of the airline, there to save lives if (as it is often) needed

Sadly just seen as a waiter and cleaner and treated like scum

RobHilton
    Free Member

there to save lives if (as it is often) needed

Oooo! Do tell

allthepies
    Free Member

Doors to manual.

pondo
    Free Member

Which airline?

Got a friend who’s just joined BA, sounds ace and it’s making me think. 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

BA recruitment is a bit tricky ain’t it? I’d hate to have to deal with some of the dickheads you get on the Spanish type holiday flights.

SaxonRider

Wasn’t there a reality show about this a number of years back? The whole selection and training process looked pretty rigorous as far as I remember.

dantsw13

If it’s just for a few years, bit I fun, go for it! The days of well paid BA cabin crew have gone, and the new deal is minimum wage. It’s tiring, but good fun, and you’ll have a ball.

allthepies
    Free Member

Minimum wage for cabin crew ? 😮

I suppose there is probably a long line of applicants to chose from.

doris5000
    tomkerton
    Free Member

I’m on t’other side of the door & married to ex-crew. Very different life doing long haul or short haul. Monarch/TCX/Thomson/Easy jet hard work but home most nights. Virgin is a nice life. Mixed fleet with BA quite good I think, mix offing haul & short haul with quite a lot of control over your rosters. Don’t join Ryanair.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Oh alot of contracts for new crew (apart from ba & Virgin) are temporary. You will get 7 or 8 months work from Easter until September/October.

andyrm
    Free Member

Did 3 years after uni for a total change.

Much harder than people realise – safety tests and equipment location tests before every flight – get it wrong and you’re grounded and likely to lose your job.

Extensive first aid/survival/evac training – but this is shielded from passengers so as not to alarm them to “possibilities”, but net result of that is the appealing way many crew are treated by passengers.

Met some awesome passengers though – Honor Blackman was a frequent flyer with us. Genuinely lovely and proper old skool classy – used to get on with chocolates etc for the crew every flight.

Night flight to Tel Aviv was the worst – horrible, horrible rude people. But it was OK, making up quadruple strength coffee and watch them all twitching made up for it.

I could write a book about some of the things we saw/did over those years!!

z1ppy

dantsw13 – Member
    If it’s just for a few years, bit I fun, go for it! The days of well paid BA cabin crew have gone, and the new deal is minimum wage. It’s tiring, but good fun, and you’ll have a ball.

Brother is 25yr+ BA, he’d agree with that heartily, though from what he’s said try not to fall into the trap of living a ‘jet set’ lifestyle on CC’s with a low wage income

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just in passing, I love Cabin Pressure 🙂

garage-dweller

the appealing way many crew are treated by passengers.

I know its slightly off topic (no change for me there then) but I never understand why anyone would be an arse to cabin crew but sadly it seems really common in my relatively low air mileage.

I always treat them with my very best Sunday manners as a result. I sadly suspect I’m in the minority.

andyrm
    Free Member

Good question garage-dweller – it always mystified me. Almost like people forget the cardinal rule of never offend anyone who serves or prepares your food.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any cabin crew in the house?’ is closed to new replies.