Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any builders,architects on here ?,i need some advice plz..
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

We wanna build an orangery on the back of our house,3.4 x 7m,bi-fold doors skylight roof etc etc,however,in order to do this we need to knock down an existing utility room, and out building, in order to do this, the current utility has a pitched roof, the new one will be flat, but less than the height of the old one, by 1.5m.

The total length will be the same as the existing 2 buildings, but the
    depth will be greater overall by about 2.5m.

So,im thinking,that I won’t need planning permission under the Neighbour Consultation Scheme,as as I interpret it,it falls withing the guidelines,secondly,i propose to project manage this myself,and use tradesman I know,in order to keep the budget under control,so will I need to submit plans drawn up by an architect, or can I draw them myself ?,clearly it will be constructed to building regs..

Thx.

nickjb
    Free Member

What you are knocking down is irrelevant for planning. Dimensions will be in relation to the original house. Sound like it would still fall under PD or NCS, though: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

As for plans you can do it on a building notice with no drawings at all but that can lead to problems later. I think you would struggle to do a full plans building regs submission without help but it should be possible to go down the building notice route. You need at least enough detail for your trades to give an accurate quote. Any changes or making it up as you go along will add cost. Most trades are happy to work to sketches and verbal instructions but it is more of a risk.

All assuming you are in England. Different rules over the borders.

martinhutch

My brain gets befuddled with permitted development stuff. Are existing extensions to the ‘original’ house counted as part of the pd allowance? I have a smallish single storey extension to the rear and want to add an additional large porch to the side.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Everything is in reference to the original house so existing extensions would be part of your PD allowance. Basically you can’t put an extension an an extension. Can’t see adding a porch being an issue the rules are pretty simple for porches: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/porch/

The term “original house” means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date).

reedspeed
    Free Member

ok,so whats the average going rate,to have some plans drawn up ?,I don’t need a PLc to draw them,as its only an extension, not a city development, im trying to keep costs down here..i’ve got a serious Orange/Hope addiction you see..& thx.

v666ern
    Free Member

reedspeed – your not in an AONB/greenbelt are you? PD is affected by those so you may be limited, best to check

Doh1Nut

Conservation area / designated land can affect permitted development, but green belt does not necessarily.

reedspeed
    Free Member

No,i don’t think we are in a conservation area,& deffo not green belt !.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any builders,architects on here ?,i need some advice plz..’ is closed to new replies.