Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any builders / structural engineers on here?
  • gringo

We have a disused chimney that has been removed from the ground floor but remains between a bedroom and the bathroom on the first floor before going up and out through the roof. The opening on the bedroom side has been sealed up. We are looking to install a new bathroom suite and are considering opening the back of the chimney up to house the sink and some storage space. Does it need a structural engineer and/or building control sign-off?

globalti
    Free Member

Go and ask on DIYnot.com

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 Maybe a lintel ❓

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rockape63
    Free Member

Sounds really odd that the chimney stack has been removed from the ground floor and yet is still in place above. I’m wondering how it is supported?

Obviously you have the entire weight of the chimney to consider, so you definitely need some SE advice.

footflaps

Sounds really odd that the chimney stack has been removed from the ground floor and yet is still in place above. I’m wondering how it is supported?

Very common practice in days gone by. You wouldn’t be allowed to do it now. It’s probably just resting on the floor joists.

gringo

Cheers guys.

The house was rebuilt following bomb damage but i’m not sure whether the fireplace was removed during this or at a later date. A builder has confirmed that there is a steel lintel supporting the weight of the chimney from the first floor and I know i’d need a lintel to support the weight if I did decide to fit the sink in. I just want to know if i’d need to speak to building control to get this approved.

swoosh
    Free Member

Hi, I’m a structural engineer. I’m guessing this is an old chimney at an angle in the corner of the rooms? Or does it have a more ‘traditional’ chimney breast in each room?

I would suggest you get a local engineer to come round and take a look, for peace of mind if nothing else. Essentially you will need some element of building control sign off but for a job of this size you could do it on a Building Notice done by your builder. Speak with your local council for some advice.

Where are you?

gringo

Hi, thanks. I’m in South London.

It’s not in the corner of the room, it was between the kitchen and back of the lounge downstairs and is between the bathroom and back bedroom upstairs.

blurty

It’s unlikely, but the chimney breast may be fundamental to the strength of the wall.

As advised above, use an engineer. (£200 – £300)

In my experience it’s worth taking the stack down completely, and roofing over the former location.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any builders / structural engineers on here?’ is closed to new replies.