Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any builders in? (pricing type question)
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you gave someone (me) a price for a job which was 4K, would you expect/require a 50% payment up front?

Ta.

jimob
    Free Member

No. If they’re a proper builder then they’ll have a trade account with a few builder’s merchants. That means they get at least one month’s credit before they have to pay for material’s. I personally have never asked for money up front on any of my job’s

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

No.
    I might have asked for a small advance if special order, non returnable materials were being used, but otherwise I wouldn’t ask for anything until a significant portion of the project was completed. 50% up front is taking the piss, and would indicate that cash flow might be an issue, to the extent where they’re expecting full payment before the build is completed.
    Get a different builder; they’ve blown it!

leebaxter
    Free Member

Never asked for payment up front. Maybe if there was a large initial outlay for materials, i would push for the customer to pay for them. but certainly not for labour. i would avoid.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What’s the job?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What’s the job?

Long story but originally it was to change a 1 bed terraced house to a 2 bed by converting/changing the bathroom layout. Now It’s to re-build garden wall/gate, new bathroom, block fireplace & replace with something wall mounted, damp course in part of the kitchen & paint the exterior. (to re-rent)
    Haven’t got a price for that lot yet & am struggling to find someone in Castleford.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I never get understand why Builders dont ask for a deposit. They may have accounts but if the Client is a poor payer, then the Builder is going to be out of pocket. I think a deposit is reasonable, but not 50%.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I never get understand why Builders dont ask for a deposit. They may have accounts but if the Client is a poor payer, then the Builder is going to be out of pocket. I think a deposit is reasonable, but not 50%.

You get a feel for people. I was a joiner for 30 years, mainly for private clients. In that time I only had two non payers, funnily enough both named Watson, but unrelated.
    If I didn’t like someone, or didn’t trust them, I didn’t work for them.
    If I misjudged them and they turned out to be slow payers, then I didn’t work for them again.

spectraken
    Free Member

Definitely don’t pay anywhere near 50%, perhaps trickle feed the builder some money each week depending on what he gets done. That way you won’t be massively out of pocket if he walks off the job, plus it gives you some leverage to get the job done too.

tymbian
    Free Member

Depends what the job is. I only have trade cash accounts after getting stung for £13k a few years back. I’ve been self-employed for 30 years and since it happened ask for the materials up front as I don’t have a tab incase it happens again.
    I will add though that all my work is from recommendations.

revs1972
    Free Member

As above, deposit to cover materials, the rest on completion .

plumber
    Free Member

Senior QS

Would make no sense to start without anything you cannot return already paid for you.

Accounts are for your convenience not your customers

never been caught out by a bad payer but used to providing all detail required to get paid up front

It my job to protect my companies interests…………………………..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anyway…does anyone know of a reputable builder around Castleford?

deepreddave
    Free Member

^^^^ makes sense however for smaller jobs/short timescales I’d expect to pay in full at the end. 4k+ and I’d be happy to make one stage payment, I’d only hand over cash for materials with evidence of ownership transferring to me or I’d just buy them in my name. I might adopt a different approach if the builder was known to me /trustworthy but even then there’s always a risk. Fyi I’ve made stage payments on a £50k and £8k jobs.

russ295
    Free Member

I supply and fit kitchens. I wouldn’t take an order without a 50% deposit.
    Imagine customer picks a kitchen, I order it, they see something else they like and change their mind. I’m stuck with a kitchen that needs paid for.
    Try going to B&Q etc. Payment in full when you order.
    Labour only, I’d expect payment at the end or in stages if it was a large job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any builders in? (pricing type question)’ is closed to new replies.