Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any builders here? Extension advice needed.
  • bearnecessities

Picked up keys yesterday to new place. All very exciting etc; everything needs doing for which I’ve already had some cracking advice on here…except I now realise that the place is begging for an extension at the back. Main benefit being giving much needed extra space to the bathroom, providing somewhere to hide the boiler which is currently in a gopping position, and bonus being a larger living room.

Plus, as the place also needs full renovation inside, seems sensible to get a messy extension done now.

Problem is, I doubt I can afford it, but it’s also a bit short sighted to not have it done.

I’m happy to get quotes in, but I don’t want to be wasting trademen’s time if it’s nowhere within budget – so any ideas how much the rough costs would be of extending out, in line with the neigbour’s roof line, up to the closest wall of the extension already in place? (costs of moving boiler and internals to not be included).

Also, if there anything I can do to cut costs, seriously! (windows will be new)

West Yorks btw; thanks.

Extending exactly in same fashion as my creamy neighbour.

[/URL]

Along this distance.

..and up that high..

Some awful boiler/cabinet postioning on neigbour-side wall of extension

..and a random funny picture of what happened when I peeled away some wallpaper, at which point I left the house and came back to my rented place, with genuine fear..

marcus7
    Free Member

budget £1200 – 1500 per m2 and you won’t be far off, price will largely vary on finishes etc. you can cut costs by managing it yourself and sorting planning. but you can’t avoid bc and if needed a structural engineer etc. to put it perspective I’m having an extension over the garage (7m x 3m) new boiler and central heating and three new bathrooms, it’s going to be in the region of £ 50k without furnishings. so in reality the build is around the £ 30 k mark ie 21m2 @ £1400 ish a m2. THIS INCLUDES VAT!!! don’t forget most quotes don’t include this!!!. mine was a bit more because I had a more expensive roof.. don’t ask 🙁

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

12k, finger in air estimate. Where in west York’s?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bearnecessities

Drighlington; know someone?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Sorry no, bit too far for me too.

You should have plenty of competition up that way for work though

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

I’d just get a couple of quote’s in and see where they come in at, tradesmen quote all the time and get knocked back just as much. I deal with joiners/builders every day in and around Bradford/Leeds with my job so I’ll have a word with two or three during the course of the week and see what they say. I should be able to pull a few strings and get the materials at cost too – drop me your mobile number, I had it when met up last year for the Oakley’s but have replaced my mobile since then!

project
    Free Member

bearnecessities

Hi chunky; cheers fella, I’ll drop you an email (Still got Oakleys!)

Project: Not only have you made random comments about what an extension would involve, that were not asked for, you have then gone on to question why I am wanting one, which only shows you’ve not really read the OP and to top it off with a bright red cherry, not even suggested an answer to how much it may cost, which is all I was asking!

Thanks for taking the effort though 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

A 10 square metre extension therefore equates to 15k? 😯

marcus7
    Free Member

no, between 12 and 15, well I got six quotes and that what I got back inc vat that includes painting and electrics and plumbing which I considered minimum. a bare shell or first fix is of course going to be less.. 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I think you’ll get it for way less than those prices. I’m doing the drawings for a big detached double garage with a workshop to the side and a playroom upstairs. Insulated walls, tiled hipped roof etc. they have been quoted £6k!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

😯

6k for materials alone is pushing it!

marcus7
    Free Member

they quoted without drawings?, seriously I could not get a price anywhere near that, most builders are reluctant to fix a price before they are above ground level. are you saying less than £500 m2??, the cost of brick alone on mine was the best part of 2k! I have trade accounts and got good prices and would still not get near that!. good on you though you must have negotiated hard!

edhornby

I’ve just had a kitchen done, having just been through it I would say to do a lot of planning and research before you start talking to builders

talk lots to both sets of neighbours, keep them onside, you’ll need agreement from all boundary neighbours to get the ok on development
    find out about permitted development and what your council expects, go talk to them
    do lots of drawings decide how the internal and external layout is going to work, do you still want the back door there?
    think about drainage routes, the one at the back is the bath and sink running into the sewer and that will need to be relocated, you may be best to crack the concrete layer yourself and know what is there – do you know where the inspection chamber is?
    the boiler position is there because it’s right above the point where the gas main comes to the property (that skanky white box is the gas meter I’m guessing)
    get all the wallpaper stripped, know what you are dealing with – decorate all the other rooms while you’re planning the extension

it’s not a difficult job but planning will save you money and hassle in the long run, good luck 🙂

northernmatt

Looks like you’re finding similar stuff to what I was finding a few months back. Every time I took paper off or, in my case, removed a false ceiling I found all sorts of crazy bodge jobs. Had to have a full rewire, skimmed all walls, new heating system, replaced some rotten joists, still need to sort a new bathroom out. Spent much much more than we originally planned, about £5.5-6k so far and I’ve done everything bar that rewire/plastering/heating myself.

Boiler looks like it’s been put in where and old one with a big square balanced flue was. Can’t tell what make it is from the picture but I’d be putting a new one in to be on the safe side.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any builders here? Extension advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.