Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • any builders? – asbestos ceiling board
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

looking at buying a house but in the garage (under the lounge) it looks like its got asbestos ceiling board.

House was built in the 70’s. Did they just put the asbestos board over the garage to protect the rooms above in case of fire, or is it likely that the whole house will have asbestos board in the ceilings and walls?

I know its usually ok to leave asbestos board in if its in ok condition, but i’ll need to put a new bathroom and kitchen in if i buy it, which will involve messing around with walls in the main living area of the house, so if i get contractors to start on this do they have to remove any stuff they find or can they seal over it?

If it did need asbestos removing i guess this is a £££££££££ job?

thanks

VanHalen

if you are serious about buying get an asbestos survey done. that will tell you all you need to know about hte levels of risk and what can be done.

you can leave it in place no problem. you need to be careful if you are cutting it as its the individual fibres that are the problem.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did they just put the asbestos board over the garage to protect the rooms above in case of fire, or is it likely that the whole house will have asbestos board in the ceilings and walls?

IMO if it is indeed asbestos, then it is very likely to be only in the ceiling of an integral garage. It is very unlikely to be in the ceiling of any other room, unless you have artex.

It is likely to be a problem if disturbed, and it is likely to be expensive.

IMO

lakesrider
    Free Member

Van Halen –

any idea of the cost of a domestic asbestos survey? (3 bed bungalow, garage underneath) £250, £500. £1000?!

gixer.john
    Free Member

Lakes – asbestos was banned from construction in 1999.
    If asbestos is in good condition it can be left or encapsulated.
    A management survey should cost a couple of hundred quid – this will identify the asbestos type, condition and a reccomendation.
    it is not illegal for you to remove asbestos cement sheet – you just have to look at the HSE website and advice is available.
    Where are you based, i might be able to get you a decent price from a licensed asbestos removal contractor.

yossarian
    Free Member

Stoner will come and get it for you!

MoreCashThanDash

I asked the other week and there is stuff on HSE website which suggests it may not be as bad as you think. Haven’t actually progressed much since then as I’ve been too busy to follow it up – see my history to find my thread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘any builders? – asbestos ceiling board’ is closed to new replies.