• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any budding chef's out there? Knife knowledge needed!
  • tutgareth
    Free Member

So the Aunty in-law wants to buy us a belated wedding preasant and insists on it being some new knives for carving, slicing (not fingers hopefully) and most other kitchen duties……

I have no idea what makes are good quality and durable but we have £500-600 to spend on a full set… 😯 🙂

Suggestions / recommendation would be greatly appreiciated

cheers

buck53

Buy Kiwi knives, tell the wife they cost as much as the Globals that they outperform, spend the rest on bike bits 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s bad luck to receive knives as a gift (apparently 🙄 )

I’m not superstitious in the slightest, but I did get bought a set of knives for Christmas by my brother a few years ago, and on 9th of Jan I was in A&E getting stitches after sticking a paring knife all the way through my hand on the fleshy bit below the little finger !!

(That’s because I’m a Clutz though, I’m sure you will be fine 😉 )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wusthof Classics.

tutgareth
    Free Member

Buy Kiwi knives, tell the wife they cost as much as the Globals that they outperform, spend the rest on bike bits

had thought of that too. hehe. i’m a glutton for good quality products that last.

phil.w
    Free Member

I’ve used a lot of different knives in my time and nothing beats a Global for being able to quickly re-sharpen with a steel and hold an edge put on this way – something to do with the manufacturing process and material used so I’m lead to believe.

They deservedly have a great reputation in professional kitchens, but that said I’ve worked with chefs who swear by cheap, plastic handled generic knives. Because at the end of the day the most important thing is how it feels / fits in your hand.

Oh, and avoid anything made from folded steel. It’ll be super sharp out of the box but a PITA to put an edge back on as the steels too hard.

curvature
    Free Member

I also swear by Global.

Not cheap and you do probably pay a little for the brand image etc.

Make sure that you get a good stone for keeping them sharp. Took me a little while to learn the correct technique but now I can sharpen them in under a minute and achieve good results.

Whatever you do though do not put them in the dishwasher. I had my first set replaced as the instructions were missing from the box and it states in big letters not to do this. The salt corrodes the blade edges.

piemonster

I swear at Global

I do like a “what knives” thread. Conti vert pros please.

Kin Knives for me, then Henckels. But when push comes to shove, it’s as much a personal preference as anything. Find yourself a decent kitchen stuff shop and go and play in the knife section. Weighting and general feel are important as well as how ‘kin sharp they are.

willard

Kyocera ceramic.

Awesome.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Recently got a MAC knife, superb, japanese technology, and very sharp.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I use Henckels – excelent knives – seriousely sharp and as an added bonus I have also mastered typing with my toes

tutgareth
    Free Member

I had a nosey in the shops on saturday and we went for these beasties!

Wusthof Ikon

hopefully after spneding that much we’ll never have to purchase knives again!

grum
    Free Member

MAC +1

As recommended by my mate who’s a chef in a Michelin starred restaurant. The cleaver style vegetable slicer is amazeballs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any budding chef's out there? Knife knowledge needed!’ is closed to new replies.