Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Any brakes other than avid with conical spacers
  • glenh
    Free Member

For various reasons, my fork brake mounts are such that the caliper does not mount at a perfect 90 degrees to the rotor without the help of the conical spacers on my Avid juicy calipers (and before anyone suggests it, the can’t be fixed as this would need the removal of material that isn’t spare).

I’m looking to replace my brakes, but I haven’t been impressed with the Juicies for a few reasons (not well made, poor pad wear, sticking pistons), but I need the conical spacer system to get the caliper straight.
    I’ve tried adding the spacers to another type of brake as an experiment, but the extra distance makes the caliper sit too far out so the pads lip.

So… am I stuck with Avid, or are there any other brakes that use a conical spacer system?

julianwilson
    Free Member

nope. fwiw i love juicy’s! lots of my mates have them (between all of us we have every version plus bb7’s) and we get on fine with them.

Only thing that springs to mind is finding the ‘shortest’ (ie lowest stacking) combination of cones (they are the same as on v brakes) and seeing if a 185mm rotor works with a 180mm adapter. And while you are at it, 180mm adapters are quite ‘tall’ so you could file a couple of mm off the top where the brake calliper bolts on. As long as you didn’t make a complete pig’s ear of it the conical spacers would take care of the unavoidable wonkiness.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Any brakes other than avid with conical spacers’ is closed to new replies.