Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any Boxers on here?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m going Boxing for the first time next tuesday, partly to get fit and partly because I’ve always wanted to try it. What should I expect in my first beginners class?

cheekyget
    Free Member

A bloody nose 😀

scotroutes

Woof Woof

properbikeco
    Free Member

Having practised muay thai, I’d say unless you want to compete or are really keen on it, look at some other martial arts which are more “complete” i.e. involve all limbs and parts of the body for striking/targeting.
    Lots of variety out there and many allow all the “boxing” moves as well as others – this may make it more interesting for you, and give you a break from one sided sparring sessions!

Boxing is quite restrictive, and tough on the head, ears and nose!

jimjam
    Free Member

My brother in law runs a boxing club, with him you’d probably just be doing cardio drills, basic stances, maybe some footwork but it depends entirely on the club/trainer. If it’s a club focused on active fighters they might just throw you in the ring and have you spar a few people to see if you like getting punched.

If it’s more along the boxcercise / boxing for fitness mould then it’ll probably be more drilling less fighting.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Woof Woof

came to post that 😆

km79
    Free Member

What should I expect in my first beginners class?

Normally on your first visit to a new gym you will lock horns with the local prospect, the future champ. His trainer will look down at you and later offer you a spar with his guy just to put you in your place.

Unexpectedly to everyone but you, you knock the guy out, and in doing so you convince the old washed up trainer who hangs around the back to take you on and train you up.

12 months later you are the new world champion. Congratulations!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha!

I can’t do other martial arts due to my knee being totally shot, was told things like Rugby League and Football which I used to play I’d have to stop because I can’t take any impact on it, so Boxing is the only choice, and there’s a club right near my new house.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any Boxers on here?’ is closed to new replies.