Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any boiler fitters here? Quick question
  • DT78
    Free Member

So month 3 in new house another new problem

Have water patches appearing in the kitchen, have tracked it to the condensing overflow pipe from the boiler. It literally wasn’t attached. No joint, tape or seal just looks like it was pushed on. Is this normal? Is there anything that could have happened to push the pipe off (increase in pressure?). It also appears to be leaking at the far end where it exits the house to the drain. Seems weird that water managed to travel a further 3 meters and then pool creating another large damp patch. Could this joint have gone as well?

Timely I have a chap coming over for a boiler service today and emptied the cupboard so it is could be I just knocked it whilst removing crap and as it wasn’t attached in any way it just dropped an inch, which could explain the damp patch directly under the boiler but not the one 3 meters away at the other end of the pipe (as that pipe was no longer attached….).

Is confused. Any one encountered similar? Pressure in the pipe causing a joint to fail and then it to finally push off the boiler?

Stoner
    Free Member

is there sufficient fall on the drain pipe?

Its supposed to be an expansion/pressure relief outlet isnt it? You might have a weeping pressure relief valve.

Check that the filler loop is fully turned off and that the pressure guage is showing in the Green zone. If the filler is left open then the circuit could be overfilling beyond the pressure relief valve rating and weeping through the indicator/overflow pipe.

martinhutch

There’s no pressure in a condensate pipe, it’s just a dribble when the boiler is running. Just sounds like a crap job has been done at both ends.

How long is the pipe run between the boiler and the drain, and what kind of fall do you have on it?

DT78
    Free Member

The fall from the boiler (when attached) is a good half meter but then it would be more or less horizontal for 3meters as it follows the kitchen ceiling till it exits, it then has a very slight fall where it exits into one of the main drains from the guttering (like a funnel thing half way down the pipe)

Going to get the ladder out in a minute and check if that’s blocked up.

If I think about it, I reckon there has been an issue before at the exit end as some paint is flaking. No signs of the issue under the boiler though.

The boiler is all electronic so not sure how to check the pressure, the old one had a simple gauge.

So glad I’ve got a chap coming over! Just want to make sure I’m able to ask him the right questions

DT78
    Free Member

As the boiler is in the middle of the house, it would be impossible to get much more of a drop on it…..must be something for these scenarios?

DT78
    Free Member

No evidence on the outside of blocked drain or failed joint as it exits

martinhutch

We’re talking about condensate rather than pressure relief from what you’ve said. I’d be concerned that a 3m horizontal run includes a tiny bit of sloppy uphill or sagging and you’re getting pooling at a badly-fitted joint.

When you turn it on, I take it you’re still getting a dribble of condensate at the funnel?

IANAHE, BTW. 😀 I’m sure a proper boiler fitter will be along shortly with a completely different explanation.

DT78
    Free Member

In case anyone searches this….boiler chap thinks it was just the fact the condenser had come off, apparently on my model it is just a push on, no connections, he thinks it ran down the pipe to cause two seperate wet patches.

Basically refit and monitor to see if it gets any worse.

He did however find that whoever fitted the boiler had reused the old flue, and might not be within the right spec for the new boiler. Brilliant. More money out of the door

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mine was just pushed on and came off a few times. In think it is meant to be like that as it only channels drips away. I think there is probably a safety element to it, as a problem with these is the drips freezing if the pipe goes outside and the pipe filling up and backing up with water, so at that stage the pipe is probably intended to pop off to stop the water backing up back into the boiler.

I just put a jubilee clip on mine – it doesn’t go outside so no chance of freezing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any boiler fitters here? Quick question’ is closed to new replies.